Radeon Software for Linux 20.20 Released With Ubuntu 20.04 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software for Linux 20.20 Released With Ubuntu 20.04 Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software for Linux 20.20 Released With Ubuntu 20.04 Support

There is a new packaged AMD Radeon Linux graphics driver release now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they manage to include a graphics control panel this time?

Comment

Could be nice for 5600 owners who struggle a bit with getting the right drivers... ? Not everyone wants to run bleeding edge kernels and Mesa. Not that I know that this will be more stable...

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        Could be nice for 5600 owners who struggle a bit with getting the right drivers... ? Not everyone wants to run bleeding edge kernels and Mesa. Not that I know that this will be more stable...
        I agree.

When I got my Vega card (~1 month after launch (no no, not the gaming cards but the Frontier one)), I used the proprietary driver for 1-2 months because the open-source one was unstable.

The open-source driver only got stable after 1 year, in June 2018 with Linux 4.13 and AMD's pre-packed DKMS driver.

Comment

Michael
          Since the 20.10 release they also updated the minimal Vulkan SDK version requirement from 1.1.121.1 to 1.2.135.0.

Comment

And people tell me not to complain or ask about support before a GPU or a distro is released.
            I wonder now if the driver will have any problems installing if someone updated the very old default kernel in 20.04 (5.4) so something more current (5.7) ?
            Hopefully they didn't make this hard restrictions again to force us live with and old kernel and not get the best support and performance for our hardware.

Comment

Michael

The Ubuntu 20.04 and RHEL/CentOS 8.2 support joins the other supported Linux distributions of Ubuntu 28.04.4, RHEL/CentOS 7.8, and SUSE Linux Enterprise SLES/SLED 15 SP1.
              i dont know this distribution, maybe I ask to marty mcfly about that

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                And people tell me not to complain or ask about support before a GPU or a distro is released.
                I wonder now if the driver will have any problems installing if someone updated the very old default kernel in 20.04 (5.4) so something more current (5.7) ?
                Hopefully they didn't make this hard restrictions again to force us live with and old kernel and not get the best support and performance for our hardware.
                Flashing back to the fglrx days of AMD graphics drivers with hard coded kernel support. I learned so much about Linux trying to get that cursed driver to run on my dad's AM1 system in 2014.

Comment

Since I participate in

I seriously doubt, that this will be a bug free experience.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    The open-source driver only got stable after 1 year, in June 2018 with Linux 4.13 and AMD's pre-packed DKMS driver.
                    Linux 4.13 got released on 3 Sep 2017 not in June 2018.

Comment

Working...
                    X