Sienna Cichlid Support For RadeonSI Merged Into Mesa 20.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Have you seen how early Intel adds support for their GPUs ?
    That's probably since their drivers is orders of magnitude less complex.

[...] Linux, unlike Windows when you can download the driver and have good support at the same day you own the GPU [...]
    Doesn't AMD provide a driver package for their new GPUs on launch day? Or at least they did when I bought my last GPU. Worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      it's a matter of radv devs choosing to work on radv rather than amdvlk, who are you going to be disappointed in?
      Not sure what you mean by this sarcastic quip.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Doesn't AMD provide a driver package for their new GPUs on launch day? Or at least they did when I bought my last GPU. Worked fine.
        I don't know, I don't use proprietary or installable driver packages.

I just use the default driver that the Linux kernel loads fro the GPU.

That's why I bought AMD, to escape of the nonsense and waste of time with driver install.

Comment

Our packaged drivers support both a fully open stack and proprietary addons for workstation.

Comment

Funny, but the day when the product will be announced and then shipped will come, and I wouldn't be surprised if I download the latest version of my distro, let's say Kubuntu 20.10 and the kernel or Mesa support for these newer GPUs will not be there and have to wait another 3 or 6 months until software catches up.

I'm tired of buying new AMD CPUs or GPUs and not being able to enjoy it fully at that time because something is missing.
            Last year I had to wait for the systemd or kernel developers to make some workarounds because the up-to-date distros would not even boot, then for the motherboard vendor to release a BIOS update for a more proper workaround.

Good that I haven't upgraded my Polaris GPU to Navi and I'm happy I haven't done it because I heard that even now there's no working OpenCL on it.

So yeah, this time I complain early with the hope that by the time the new distros will be released will all all the support for the new GPUs, otherwise I see no point into buying the hardware if the software is not ready.

Anyway, good luck and thank you very much for your hard work!
            You just have to buy hardware that is already well supported at the time of your purchase. It's not news, this is how Linux has been since the very beginning. If you want working hardware then you have to buy hardware that already works. It really is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You just have to buy hardware that is already well supported at the time of your purchase. It's not news, this is how Linux has been since the very beginning. If you want working hardware then you have to buy hardware that already works. It really is that simple.
              No thanks!
              That would mean to buy old hardware, which I already have.
              Just because I'm using Linux it doesn't mean that I should wait for one whole year until Linux catches up with support.
              I mean, this is not a problem with Intel.

Comment

No thanks!
                That would mean to buy old hardware, which I already have.
                Just because I'm using Linux it doesn't mean that I should wait for one whole year until Linux catches up with support.
                I mean, this is not a problem with Intel.
                Just stupid. So you'll choose hardware that is orders of magnitude slower just because you -think wrongly- that it's newer.... Just dumb... Plain stupid...

Just an FYI, Intel has been releasing almost identical products for the last 7 or 8 years...
                Last edited by duby229; 22 June 2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Just stupid. So you'll choose hardware that is orders of magnitude slower just because you -think wrongly- that it's newer.... Just dumb... Plain stupid...

Just an FYI, Intel has been releasing almost identical products for the last 7 or 8 years...
                  I don't have the money to buy two GPUs, one older first that works without problems and then the newer one that I wanted from the beginning after a few months.
                  I just buy the newer one from the beginning, when it's launched and at the same time make bad publicity for AMD for not having the first day driver support in Linux.
                  It sucks to wait for support, at least i can reboot into Windows and play there if I want to or install newer kernel in Linux until the distro naturally catches up.

Comment

Working...
                  X