Radeon ROCm 3.5 Released With New Features But Still No Navi Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 3.5 Released With New Features But Still No Navi Support

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 3.5 Released With New Features But Still No Navi Support

Radeon Open Compute 3.5 (ROCm 3.5) is now available with a number of improvements but surprisingly still no GFX10/Navi support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice to see opencl upstreamed into Mesa gallium for radeon cards. It just would be a more useful out of the box experience in the medium to long run.

Comment

So Navi is abandoned for compute - I hope that changes with Big Navi/Sienna Cichlid hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by dbont View Post
        So Navi is abandoned for compute - I hope that changes with Big Navi/Sienna Cichlid hardware.
        If RDNA1 is an indicator how things will be handled for RDNA and CDNA going forward, things don't look good for Linux consumers who want to employ ROCm.

Comment

This is getting ridiculous...
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            This is getting ridiculous...
            Yes, it absolutely is... run Nvidia if you have anything related to GPU Compute! Its not one click setup, but it works and thats probably the key feature

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

If RDNA1 is an indicator how things will be handled for RDNA and CDNA going forward, things don't look good for Linux consumers who want to employ ROCm.
              It is not like ROCm have been targeted for consumer market at all. It so much P.I.T.A. to install it on any recent distro that most people who need compute just use nvidia instead.
              And that on top of very narrow hardware support list. Will probably see usable Mesa implementation of OpenCL sooner than any good changes in ROCm.

Comment

They also advertise OpenCL 2.2 but I cannot see that. clinfo still reports 2.0 and 1.2 for the OpenCL C and device respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

It is not like ROCm have been targeted for consumer market at all. It so much P.I.T.A. to install it on any recent distro that most people who need compute just use nvidia instead.
                  It is? I use upstream kernel and the tensorflow-rocm docker image on Arch Linux. Setup time : 30 seconds.

Comment

And they still don't have a build of amdgpu pro (aka Catalyst, aka fglrx, although it's no longer using the fglrx kernel module) for Ubuntu 20.04.

Comment

Working...
                    X