AMD Radeon Linux Driver Sees Patches For New "Sienna Cichlid" GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

As anyone with the big box of crayons should know.
    Ok I don't know the crayon box in the english speaking countries . Here in Germany it is called "ocker" and sienna is just a shade you can buy in the artist shop. If you are not an artist you mostlikely don't know it.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Sienna is also a common pigment which is used since hundrets of years. (from italy). futhermore it might also be possible that sienna cichild is a common name for a cichilid breed with sienna coloured appearence.
      Perhaps, but I'm gonna take Bridgman's comment down the rabbit hole and come to a conclusion.

Recently AMD had a partnership with Capcom and was giving out copies of RE2 and RE3 when people would buy a GPU.

Sienna Guillory is the name of the actress who played a major character, Jill Valentine, in the games that AMD was giving out.

For those who don't know, Oberon is the code name of the PS5.

One of the uses of the name Oberon in history was Julius Caesar and Morgan le Fay's love child. Julius Caesar is from Italy.

Since Morgan le Fay is from England, we can assume Oberon is from England. Sienna Guillory is also from England. So we got us some England shit going on.

So in A Midsummer Night's Dream, from Shakespeare, also from England, Oberon has some shenanigans involving Cupid's Arrow and potions.

Now, Cupid is related to Valentine. Valentine is the character in the RE games AMD was giving out. Therefore this is the PS5 GPU.

Hot damn

Comment

Michael I said the dreaded "L" word

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Perhaps, but I'm gonna take Bridgman's comment down the rabbit hole and come to a conclusion.
          Now, Cupid is related to Valentine. Valentine is the character in the RE games AMD was giving out. Therefore this is the PS5 GPU. Hot damn
          Dang, I'm impressed... even a little scared.

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          Ok I don't know the crayon box in the english speaking countries . Here in Germany it is called "ocker" and sienna is just a shade you can buy in the artist shop. If you are not an artist you mostlikely don't know it.
          Yep... over here it's Ocher or Ochre depending on which flavour of English is in use (eg it's Ochre in Canada, Ocher in the USA). I think it refers to a family of colours and Sienna is one member of the family.
          Last edited by bridgman; 02 June 2020, 11:31 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            VCN 3.0? Come on, did you finally bring 4:4:4 encode?
            Also, what about AV1 decode and encode support?
            ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I hope that RDNA 2 will come with HDMI 2.1 ports so we can enjoy the best quality of movies and games.
              I saw a lot of TVs with HDMI 2.1 that will be released this year where we can enjoy our movies and games in 4K @ 120 FPS + HDR.
              I really see no point into buying a monitor anymore when you can buy a TV with bigger and better screen.
              Hopefully the video decoder will be powerful enough to decode all types of high quality video codecs, resolutions, framerates, bitdepths, etc.
              Last time I tried to watch a movie in very high quality on Windows 7 with MPC-HC + MadVR (high quality settings), the GPU (RX 570) was on his knees, not being able to keep up.
              We should be proud again about AMD's image quality
              DisplayPort is superior. You can already enjoy 4K HDR @ 120 FPS with DisplayPort using UHBR10 (and on HBR2 with lossless DSC).

UHBR10 requires DisplayPort 2.0 whereas HBR2 is supported on DisplayPort 1.2 and above.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Hmmm. I think you're trying to throw me off with all those hex codes. The real key is in the link you provided.

It's X11. Most people would think government project if they saw X11, like an experimental aircraft, since Linux windowing systems are an obscure topic. Since I know about AMD's Italy fetish, I can deduct that that isn't X11, it's really XII in old-school 1337 speak. XII, to some, would be the Roman Numerals for 12, but I know it's really the letter X and 2. X2.

Now, y'all are thinking that I'm about to say this will be for the Xbox Two.

Y'all's close. See, X2 is really a reference to the second X Men movie. X2: X-Men United. A movie that was produced by Sony. But in that movie they had to unite with the Bad Guy. We all know in the PC world that that's Microsoft. That clearly makes this for the both the PS5 and Xbox 2.

Comment

It's a major step to see mainstream hardware "dedicated" to the Open-source
                  But, I'm still expecting the complete BKDG of Zen, 3 years after launch.
                  So I won't dream this GPU will be released with its specifications, registers, and firmware bits...

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

DisplayPort is superior. You can already enjoy 4K HDR @ 120 FPS with DisplayPort using UHBR10 (and on HBR2 with lossless DSC).

UHBR10 requires DisplayPort 2.0 whereas HBR2 is supported on DisplayPort 1.2 and above.
                    DisplayPort 2.0 may be superior, but HDMI 2.1 still has amazing specs, and is on the best current displays.

The 48-inch LG CX 4K OLED TV (OLED48CXPUB) Combines Revolutionary Picture Quality and Multi-Dimensional Surround Sound. Find Features and Reviews on LG US.

Comment

Originally posted by dbont View Post

DisplayPort 2.0 may be superior, but HDMI 2.1 still has amazing specs, and is on the best current displays.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv
                      Yeah, that's because consumer hardware has completely adopted HDMI. TVs, media players, disc players, sound systems etc.

DisplayPort is the better solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X