AMD Radeon Linux Driver Sees Patches For New "Sienna Cichlid" GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Sienna is a city in Italy (American/English spelling). AMD Epyc CPUs are code named after Italian cities.
    Sienna is also the first name of the actress who played Jill Valentine in the Resident Evil movies, so lots of possibilities.

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Funny but the code name here is no help at all, some one must have pulled that out of their behind jut before posting the code.
    Sounds unhygenic. We used a script.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01 June 2020, 05:21 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      RX690 - Polaris+++++
      Global Foundries does have a 12LP+ process that is better than what the RX590 uses, so they could refresh that. This part isn't it though.

I looked casually to see if AMD will make use of that process, but saw nothing. Maybe they would fab I/O dies on it, to continue taking pressure off their TSMC wafer supply.

Comment

Nice. I hope that RDNA2 won't be limited to "Big Navi" but it will feature the whole range of GPUs. I think that originally "Big Navi" was supposed to be of the original RDNA architecture but for some reasons it got cancelled (perhaps it got delayed to the point of not being worth it when RDNA2 is close?). Yet we still see tech sites mostly talking about "Big Navi" when they comment about RDNA2. I am more interested in the mainstream variants, Navi seems nice but it is still somewhat power hungry and it lacks AV1 decoding, so i hope that RDNA2 cards get released to replace the RX 5x00 series with lower TDPs and AV1 support.

Comment

I hope that RDNA 2 will come with HDMI 2.1 ports so we can enjoy the best quality of movies and games.
          I saw a lot of TVs with HDMI 2.1 that will be released this year where we can enjoy our movies and games in 4K @ 120 FPS + HDR.
          I really see no point into buying a monitor anymore when you can buy a TV with bigger and better screen.
          Hopefully the video decoder will be powerful enough to decode all types of high quality video codecs, resolutions, framerates, bitdepths, etc.
          Last time I tried to watch a movie in very high quality on Windows 7 with MPC-HC + MadVR (high quality settings), the GPU (RX 570) was on his knees, not being able to keep up.
          We should be proud again about AMD's image quality

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Nice. I hope that RDNA2 won't be limited to "Big Navi" but it will feature the whole range of GPUs. I think that originally "Big Navi" was supposed to be of the original RDNA architecture but for some reasons it got cancelled (perhaps it got delayed to the point of not being worth it when RDNA2 is close?). Yet we still see tech sites mostly talking about "Big Navi" when they comment about RDNA2. I am more interested in the mainstream variants, Navi seems nice but it is still somewhat power hungry and it lacks AV1 decoding, so i hope that RDNA2 cards get released to replace the RX 5x00 series with lower TDPs and AV1 support.
            I hate to say it like this, but Navi & RDNA has always felt like a giant beta test for RDNA 2 to me. Like someone made the decision of "let's get something out there now to work out the kinks so we don't have a bunch of hardly working stuff like during the R-Number generations (R7 250, R9 390, R9 280x, etc)". Granted that AMDGPU wasn't anywhere near as mature those days, but anecdotal posts from here about Navi and Polaris shows that their bleeding edge stuff isn't still isn't always quite ready on launch day. That's the 4XX Polaris GPUs. All think kinks were worked out by the time the 5XX Polaris GPUs were released. My 580 thanks all y'all 480 owners

Since RDNA 2 will power both next-gen consoles as well as how us Phoronix users expect it to be "the next Polaris", AMD getting the essentials and core parts of the technology out in the wild so the kinks can be worked out makes a lot of sense to me.

Comment

Sienna Cichlid sounds like the name of a short-lived band from the late 1960's.

Comment

Good stuff! Hopefully this lands in the 5.8 kernel so there's some semi-usable support at launch day, assuming the GPU launches happen before 5.9 would release in November.
                Last edited by ResponseWriter; 02 June 2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  My guess is that this is an APU. An Epyc APU.

Sienna is a city in Italy (American/English spelling). AMD Epyc CPUs are code named after Italian cities.

Chichlid is a fish. AMD GPUs tend to have fishy code names.

Y'all do the math from there.
                  Sienna is also a common pigment which is used since hundrets of years. (from italy). futhermore it might also be possible that sienna cichild is a common name for a cichilid breed with sienna coloured appearence.

Comment

bridgman looks like your team is having fun with naming conventions - I bet there are some office lols going around today with the speculation

I like that the bring up is starting nice and early - well done and good luck with your new shiny hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                      Sienna is also a common pigment which is used since hundreds of years.
                      As anyone with the big box of crayons should know.

Comment

Working...
                      X