Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Linux Driver Sees Patches For New "Sienna Cichlid" GPU

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Linux Driver Sees Patches For New "Sienna Cichlid" GPU

Hitting the mailing list just minutes ago were a set of more than 200 patches bringing up support for the yet-to-be-heard of Sienna Cichlid GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RX690 - Polaris+++++

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      RX690 - Polaris+++++
      How do you know this is gonna be Polaris all over again?

Comment

VCN 3.0? Come on, did you finally bring 4:4:4 encode?

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
            RX690 - Polaris+++++
            Did you even read the article? Because it clearly says that the patches state it's a Navi-based part.

On topic:
            I was wondering when patches for the long rumored "Big Navi" (with a die size of 505mm^2 compared to the RX 5700-series' 251mm^2) that's supposedly launching in the autumn were going to get posted. Showing up for an early autumn launch of the first mainline kernel with support fits the current set of rumors pretty well.

Comment

Could be Big Navi but it could be a whole lot of other GPUs. I'm expecting a refresh of the current Navi line up to be marketed as the low end to big Navi. Funny but the code name here is no help at all, some one must have pulled that out of their behind jut before posting the code.

Comment

My guess is that this is an APU. An Epyc APU.

Sienna is a city in Italy (American/English spelling). AMD Epyc CPUs are code named after Italian cities.

Chichlid is a fish. AMD GPUs tend to have fishy code names.

Y'all do the math from there.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Sienna is a city in Italy (American/English spelling). AMD Epyc CPUs are code named after Italian cities.
                  Interesting theory. If you're right, I'm guessing this will either be for compute purposes or just a basic console display. With 8 memory channels, the GPU might actually have sufficient bandwidth. Though since compute tasks are often more processor-intensive than memory-intensive, I'm sure there won't be much of a bottleneck at all.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Chichlid is a fish. AMD GPUs tend to have fishy code names.

Y'all do the math from there.
                    Not an APU, the patches explicitly classify this as a dGPU.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X