X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

This. And if AMD adds some form of L4 cache on the thing, which is not impossible or expensive considering 7nm and the low size of modern cores, it will be game over for Intel for the foreseeable future. I am willing to bet removing the bandwidth limitations on current igpus would double their performance. I have been looking forward to a mainstream gaming APU that can replace dgpus for 1080p gaming for a decade. I hope AMD makes the dream come true.
    1080p for 80%+ of all games at playable framerates has already been doable since Vega 8 on first gen Ryzen 5. 1080p at max settings is already doable for just about every game released up to like 2016. And even still there are only a hanful of games that need lowered in game settings. Vega to me has been Highly awesome. The earliest game I need to lower settings in is Doom2016 and that plays at max settings at 720p

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

On Other products AMD also has 10 and 11 CU parts that are 15watts. So yeah....
    the new vega 7nm are 49% faster more cores don't mean better performance the 8 cu vega 7nm at 1750 mhz should have the same performance of nvida 960m gpu, not bad since this gpu are quite popular 2 years ago

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

I find the notion that Intel’s technology is old and therefore the more powerful competition is still not good enough somewhat grotesque. Whose fault is that? As it stands, AMD is offering the most powerful integrated GPU. That is the bottom line. This might change as it always does in tech. We will see how well Gen12 performs when it comes out. However, Vega is not exactly new either and unlike Intel, AMD has already shown what their next gen GPUs will be capable of. RDNA is already a lot better than Vega apart from raw compute and I’d expect some more progress with RDNA2. So at best, Intel will have the chance to compete again with Gen12 but assuming that AMD‘s tech won’t be competitive by then is hardly more than a guess.
    This. And if AMD adds some form of L4 cache on the thing, which is not impossible or expensive considering 7nm and the low size of modern cores, it will be game over for Intel for the foreseeable future. I am willing to bet removing the bandwidth limitations on current igpus would double their performance. I have been looking forward to a mainstream gaming APU that can replace dgpus for 1080p gaming for a decade. I hope AMD makes the dream come true.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Now, put some L4 cache on the thing.... Seriously....

Leave a comment:

• NotMine999
    replied
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    AMD GPU beating Intel? Not really surprised there ;-)
    Yes, like outrunning a marathon runner that's still asleep in bed.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Maybe, just maybe, you're not the iGPU kind of guy I am still using my Haswell era Iris something something 5200. The thing with 128MB dedicated cache. It's absolutely sufficient for daily use and even some simpler CAD projects. I am actually wondering if it makes sense to dedicate a bunch of silicon to it and basically make everyone buy an iGPU that has the performance level of what used to be low midrange. What I'd much rather see but sadly nobody is even talking about it: Socketed GPUs. You pick and choose exactly the performance level you need but still get the single board form factor.
    I am also using a Haswell (4770K) with HD 4600 (GT2) and the performance is okay. I played Half-Life 2 and Portal 2 on it. When I got this CPU, I was very pleased with the graphics performance, but from what I understand the graphics on Intel's newest CPUs have not gotten much better.

Leave a comment:

• GruenSein
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Those are a totally different story, though. The Vega 10 and 11 parts are in the 12nm APUs. They are clocked significantly lower. The Renoir Vega 7 and 8 are clocked around 1.7 Ghz. So an additional CU can increase performance of up to 14% over what was presented here.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    For Windows, drivers for Windows 10 only ?
    Versions of DP and HDMI not published.
    No thanks!
    Lenovo only certifies Windows on IdeaPads according to a Lenovo product engineer from the IdeaPad group.

It seems both Intel and AMD hide certain output capabilities so that they can be tailored to a market segment by the OEM.

DisplayPort
    1.4 HDR

HDMI™
    4K60 Support

This appears to put them at or above HDMI v2.0

They also refuse to properly expose VP9 DXVA2/D3D11VA decoding for e.g. ffmpeg on Windows:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...postcount=2580
    Blatantly ignorant, typical AMD Windows driver team behavior.
    VP9 8bpc/10bpc 1080p240
    4K 60 FPS
    MPEG-2 (H.262) 8b 1080p240
    4K 60 FPS
    1080p480
    4K 120 FPS
    HEVC (H.265) 8bpc/10bpc 1080p240
    4K 60 FPS
    1080p240
    4K 60 FPS

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Gen 11 is the latest shipping product. It launched only a few months ago. Gen 12 is not shipping yet. Not sure what your point is. This is literally the highest performing iGPU in the 15w TDP class from any manufacturer. Not enough for you? Ok, that's what dGPU's are for. It's as if you're reading a spoon review, and complaining that it's not sharp enough for your t-bone steak.

Edit: This is a 7 CU part, AMD has an even higher performing 8 CU part in the 4800U.

Leave a comment:

• GruenSein
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313

That's right, Intel had the best iGPU on the market and it was shit. AMD's shit is just slightly better than Intel's shit. I am not impressed, they're both shit. Hopefully Gen 12 and RDNA2 will see some serious improvements, because so far I am not impressed with neither Intel or AMD.
    Maybe, just maybe, you're not the iGPU kind of guy I am still using my Haswell era Iris something something 5200. The thing with 128MB dedicated cache. It's absolutely sufficient for daily use and even some simpler CAD projects. I am actually wondering if it makes sense to dedicate a bunch of silicon to it and basically make everyone buy an iGPU that has the performance level of what used to be low midrange. What I'd much rather see but sadly nobody is even talking about it: Socketed GPUs. You pick and choose exactly the performance level you need but still get the single board form factor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X