Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Rays 4.0 Released - Adds Vulkan While Dropping OpenCL, No Longer Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...that is a bummer. Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
      Ironically Nvidia's 12 nm is more energy efficient with all those features then 7nm of AMD's...
      This

For amd can change that need a miracle

Last edited by pinguinpc; 13 May 2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Why are you suprised it is a thing? Drivers for AMD GPUs on linux are heavy delayed (like day 1 support doesn't exist even on GIT kernel), practically you need to wait quite a lot, while on Windows there are still complains about them being unstable. Obsolescence is quite questionable because maybe AMD gains some performance, but you have to remember EOL AMD's GPUs reach much earlier, and Nvidia instead gives you technologies like DLSS 2.0 which suddenly flips benchmarks performance wise and makes AMD look like obsolence. Like there is Directx 12 ultimate... and much older Nvidia's GPUs are fully supporting it while AMD's GPU lack not just raytracing but other features too.

Honestly AMD looks good just in 3 cases, 1. you care about open source drivers, 2. you strictly care about price to performance while not caring at all about any of Nvidia's features there AMD just barerly wins, 3. you need VAAPI decoding.

Ironically Nvidia's 12 nm is more energy efficient with all those features then 7nm of AMD's...
        Buying hardware in the first day is never a good idea. I remember blue screens when some NVIDIA cards were recently released. In AMD for Linux you only have to wait, in the worst of cases, six months. But yes, that's the main advantage of NVIDIA, you can use its cards from the first day, but the wait for the AMD support is not dramatic.

And about DLSS 2.0, I think the most of people don't care about DLSS (see the RTX 20 sales), but with NVIDIA I have a horrible support to do screencasting, I don't have Wayland support and I don't have any desktop environment well supported further than GNOME (although I'm a GNOME user).

Obviously, If you are tied to NVIDIA's proprietary technologies, NVIDIA is better for you, but the most of people only want to see their desktops working correctly and their games running smoothly. Due the Linux gaming is very tied to Vulkan, old AMD GPU's has even more advantages than NVIDIA to play with Linux because the first NVIDIA architecture truly designed to support Vulkan is Pascal.

Comment

OpenCL is dead

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
            I bet this has something to do with game consoles.
            No, but it probably has something to do with AMD's ray tracing hardware, in their upcoming RDNA2 GPUs. Maybe they felt that exposing their ray tracing code was revealing too much of their IP.

It will be interesting to see what they do in the realtime graphics stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              OpenCL is dead
              Except it's not. They just announced v3.0.

OpenCL 1.2 is used quite widely, even if you're not aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                This isn't very surprising to me. Nvidia showed AMD that you can lock down your technology with proprietary tech and people still buy their products.
                Do you even know what Radeon Rays is? It's used by like 0.01% of AMD GPU customers, if that, and it's a value-add that's not required to use any of the GPU's underlying hardware. It's a far cry from them locking down their driver stack!

Wow, it's like some of you guys are going around and looking for the slightest excuse to express outrage.
                Last edited by coder; 13 May 2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Buying hardware in the first day is never a good idea. I remember blue screens when some NVIDIA cards were recently released. In AMD for Linux you only have to wait, in the worst of cases, six months. But yes, that's the main advantage of NVIDIA, you can use its cards from the first day, but the wait for the AMD support is not dramatic.

And about DLSS 2.0, I think the most of people don't care about DLSS (see the RTX 20 sales), but with NVIDIA I have a horrible support to do screencasting, I don't have Wayland support and I don't have any desktop environment well supported further than GNOME (although I'm a GNOME user).

Obviously, If you are tied to NVIDIA's proprietary technologies, NVIDIA is better for you, but the most of people only want to see their desktops working correctly and their games running smoothly. Due the Linux gaming is very tied to Vulkan, old AMD GPU's has even more advantages than NVIDIA to play with Linux because the first NVIDIA architecture truly designed to support Vulkan is Pascal.
                  Not dramatic, for people with laptops is dramatic, I will not buy a laptop today and wait six mounths untill it works.

Amd gpu drivers are always bad supported even last ati brand, Amd should support the things better

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    No, but it probably has something to do with AMD's ray tracing hardware, in their upcoming RDNA2 GPUs. Maybe they felt that exposing their ray tracing code was revealing too much of their IP.

It will be interesting to see what they do in the realtime graphics stack.
                    You don't think the 2 are connected?

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
                      You don't think the 2 are connected?
                      I have no idea. We can speculate, but I think the best option is to wait and see. It would be pointless to get worked up over nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X