No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Radeon Pro VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone give me a recommendation (for my sister) as to how much VRAM is recommended for professional video editing with Davinci Resolve Pro on Windows 10?

My country does not import any AMD Pro or Vega-based cards at all, with the cheapest 16GB NVidia option being the equivalent of ~2200$ (with a Radeon VII, or a used Vega Frontier on Amazon, including shipping from the US, being the equivalent of ~900$). Also, given the issues outlined here with GCN/CRDN, would they still be a recommendation for video editing, or does that suffer the same way as gaming (my sister does not game)?

If so, the next best option would be a 11GB GTX 1080 Ti for the equivalent of ~750$).

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      A few differences I noticed:
      1. TDP: 295W->250W, likely due to the improvements from TSMC
      No, it's probably due to a market difference between gaming and workstations.

Maybe also a warranty thing, since lower clocks translate to better longevity, and I'm pretty sure it has a longer warranty than Vega VII. Also, it's more likely to be running 24/7 workloads that Radeon VII, which was marketed as a gaming card.

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      I'm not sure FP64 is still a thing for GPU computing...
      Of course it is! GPUs don't implement denormals, so you really want fp64 for any serious floating point number crunching.

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
        Can someone give me a recommendation (for my sister) as to how much VRAM is recommended for professional video editing with Davinci Resolve Pro on Windows 10?
        Try asking on a forum specific to that product, or at least focused on professional video editing.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
          Wait, none of them? So AMD hasn't released a card with SR_IOV for 4 years?
          I think it's actually a bit under 3 years with MI-25:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/prof.../instinct-mi25
          Last edited by bridgman; 13 May 2020, 01:32 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Being a good architecture for compute means nothing if AMD says the opposite and doesn't provide the drivers. Has everyone forgotten Terascale already? Even after a decade, OGL4 support is still blocked because AMD says so. Being open source changes nothing, AMD controls that part of Mesa. GCN has been out for more than what Terascale ever got. It can be shut down tomorrow. Even today. Just to boost RDNA sales. They don't even need a valid reason.
            Huh? Mesa is an open source project. We are major contributors, but we don't stop others from contributing. OpenGL 4.x is more or less complete barring the 64 bit extensions that very few, if any, games use. They have to be emulated on certain chips because those chips only support 32 bit operations. To support it, mesa needs to emulate them using 32 bit operations. That support didn't exist until more recently. Anyone could wire it up in r600. I'd be great if someone would. Even if AMD or any other vendor suddenly disappeared tomorrow, that doesn't take away the existing code or your ability to contribute to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

Wait, none of them? So AMD hasn't released a card with SR_IOV for 4 years?
              All of the SR-IOV cards are headless server cards. We released the V340 last year IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Radeon VII:
                • is 300 W (this is 250)
                • runs at higher clocks (boosts to 1750 MHz instead of 1700 MHz)
                • has only PCIe 3.0 (instead of 4.0)
                • has half of the fp64 performance
                • has no over-the-top Infinity Link connector for direct card-to-card communication.
                • costs $700 (this lists for $1900)
                The Radeon VII was announced in January 2019 and the first two items are due to improved yields on 7nm and the next two items are artificial limitations due to market segmentation (physically the chip was already capable of this from the start). So why does AMD release such a card 14 months after the Radeon VII? It could have been on the market for two or three quarters already...

Comment

Originally posted by drlamb View Post
                  I wonder if it supports SRI-OV...
                  It would have been very nice if there was one SR-IOV BIOS that you can select via the BIOS switch, and SR-IOV would have been the redeeming feature of the Radeon VII, but AMD tries to keep their cool technology away from enthusiasts, developers, and semi-professional users unfortunately.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  All of the SR-IOV cards are headless server cards. We released the V340 last year IIRC.
                  The Radeon Pro V340 does have a port that resembles a mini-DisplayPort. What is its function then?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    It would have been very nice if there was one SR-IOV BIOS that you can select via the BIOS switch, and SR-IOV would have been the redeeming feature of the Radeon VII, but AMD tries to keep their cool technology away from enthusiasts, developers, and semi-professional users unfortunately.

The Radeon Pro V340 does have a port that resembles a mini-DisplayPort. What is its function then?
                    I think it was leftover from bringup for debugging. I don't think it was productised.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      We released the V340 last year IIRC.
                      Thanks... I thought we had released a dual GPU card more recently but I was having trouble remembering the name.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X