AMDGPU Patches Under Discussion For Better External GPU Hot Unplug Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Patches Under Discussion For Better External GPU Hot Unplug Handling

Phoronix: AMDGPU Patches Under Discussion For Better External GPU Hot Unplug Handling

While Radeon graphics cards can work with various external GPU (eGPU) solutions, currently on Linux if trying to hot unplug such a setup can lead to various problems. An experimental patch series out this weekend is seeking to address that problem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not mentioned but if user attach previously detached eGPU it cause hard lockup. Hopefully these patches fix this lockup too.

Comment

I’m not using AMD GPUs (yet?), but nevertheless I’m real glad to see something as niche as eGPUs being worked on.

By the way, how good is the NVIDIA blob against amdgpu in this context?

Comment

What use has this ? eGPU, random gimmickery or a case of "it exists, so I want it baaaad" ?

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
          What use has this ? eGPU, random gimmickery or a case of "it exists, so I want it baaaad" ?
          I would love to be able to use hotplug support with linux.
          On linux I have to connect the EGPU before X starts, and can only unplug it after my laptop has powered off.

Unplugging before that results in system locks. Which really makes that I can choose between being mobile: with suspend and resume. Or docking it and be forced to reboot.

Comment

This is the best news of the day. Btw even Windows doesn't appreciated being disconnected from a eGPU, it crashes almost everytime.

Comment

Virtualization for example, when you can switch GPU between VM and host as needed. Currently you can't safely detach GPU from host if it's used by xorg for example.

Comment

Cool, but totally not useful for me.
                I would be much more happy to see improvements on multi-GPU in a system.
                Let's say I put 2 or 3 GPUs in my system, probably the exact same brand and model to make things easier.
                Then I want to do one of the following tasks:
                Have nice eye-candy Desktop with live / video wallpaper, wobbly windows, some conky themes, glava, etc
                Play a game
                Watch a movie
                Watch video in the browser
                Work in a virtual machine with GPU passthrough

Most of the time I will do only one of these at a time, but it could be cases where I want to do 2-3 at a time, like the desktop effects which I want to be always there and working or playing a movie on the TV, which is connected also to the computer while I game or do something else on my computer's monitor.
                Depending on the GPU usage of each of the task that I want to do, it would be great if the driver could split the work evenly on all my GPUs like one for Desktop rendering, one for game rendering and one for movie rendering.
                It would be nice also to see easier to install ROCm or more work with the distribution to include it by default so compute needed by LibreOffice or Glava, which I assume it needs to do some Fast Fourier transform to analyze the sounds, would just work.

The whole work on the external GPU looks to me more like Apple crap ripoff where they can give you a pretty low performance system, buy hey, for lots of money we give this premium GPU to make your computer faster.

Comment

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/e.../overview.html items like this you are talking about with eGPU.

Yes it fast enough in a lot of cases as the following case study shows generally.

4x Pcie gen3 limit is not a problem.

eGPU makes the most sense on laptops as connecting to a eGPU enclosure you can be changing your laptop and off load gpu work to the GPU inside the enclosure. Yes this can result in higher cpu speeds in the laptop as GPU heat production inside laptop drops.

Of course there has been issues be it windows or linux you disconnect eGPU hello full system crash. Apple you have been able to remove eGPU without system fatality for a while.

Also this would open the way for dynamic pass-though of GPU to virtual machines if eGPU stuff can be got to work. This is where you can pass though a GPU to a virtual machine then at a latter point transfer it back to host. Basically emulate the GPU being disconnected in the same way a thunderbolt port would to get GPU back from VM and to remove it from host.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    *loud vomit noises*
                    That's gross man. Go for a walk, breathe some fresh air or something. If its not useful for you just keep scrolling, also instead of telling people what they should work on just feel free to submit patches yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X