AMDGPU Patches Under Discussion For Better External GPU Hot Unplug Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by autechy View Post

That's gross man. Go for a walk, breathe some fresh air or something. If its not useful for you just keep scrolling, also instead of telling people what they should work on just feel free to submit patches yourself.
    I am their customer and since they have not given me anything for free, I am entitled to give them my feedback, which in this case is constructive critcism.
    They can read it and do something about it or nothing, I just wanted o give them a chance to understand what I want to see from them before I vote with my wallet.
    I should submit patches for a private company, after I submitted money, really ???
    When you pay for a product, let's say a car, do you also go to work in their factory for a few days to help them ?

I cannot spend 2-3 years of my life learning programming at the required level and understanding their codebase to help them release better software which brings them more customers and money.

I can help the by translating the control panel in my native language if they ever release it for Linux, but it looks like that's not gonna happen, so I can help them with nothing.
    Last edited by Danny3; 10 May 2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
      What use has this ? eGPU, random gimmickery or a case of "it exists, so I want it baaaad" ?
      It's sad that you are too poor to buy laptops that can use an eGPU (and the eGPU itself) but let us rich white bois have the cool stuff please.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Depending on the GPU usage of each of the task that I want to do, it would be great if the driver could split the work evenly on all my GPUs like one for Desktop rendering, one for game rendering and one for movie rendering.
        This is very niche.

Who the fuck is using a single system to watch a movie, see a desktop AND game at the same time, this isn't a LinusTechTips video, also how the fuck do you plan to deal with different input devices needed by the three different usecases at the same time.

And also even if it wasn't complete bs concept, it's still mostly irrelevant, desktop rendering is a rounding error for anything that is also capable of gaming (i.e. any amdgpu card basically, and also AMD Ryzen APUs), and movie rendering is mostly handled by a separate component anyway (hardware decoding is its own thing, it's just bundled together with the 3D cores).

The whole work on the external GPU looks to me more like Apple crap ripoff where they can give you a pretty low performance system, buy hey, for lots of money we give this premium GPU to make your computer faster.
        It's far from it, having a laptop with a decent CPU and no dedicated graphics is great for portability, and when you are at home you can hook up more powerful graphics if you want.

It's not that economically viable right now, but it's still an interesting concept and worth investing in, if it catches on a bit prices will decrease.

It's still much less niche than your own setup at least. Rich people exist, people that can watch a movie, see a desktop and play a game at the same time with the same input devices connected don't.

Comment

I am their customer and since they have not given me anything for free, I am entitled to give them my feedback, which in this case is constructive critcism.
          "constructive criticism"?

Sounded more like pushing your own insane pet project agenda to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
            What use has this ? eGPU, random gimmickery or a case of "it exists, so I want it baaaad" ?
            About damn time they added this. I've been running a Razer Blade Stealth + Core eGPU + X5700XT setup for a year, and have had to put up with hard lockups from the lack of removable eGPU support.

Comment

Cool, but totally not useful for me.
              Most of that stuff is possible right now. I have 2 GPUs and my RX580 is perfectly fine running desktop, games, movies, and videos in my webbrowser all at the same time.
              Al while my secont GPU is running Windows VM and my wife playing different game via steam streaming. I could even connect her monitor, keyboard/mice via VFIO passthrough, but she prefers to play on our TV which is in another room.
              I also had in the past my TV connected both as a second display to primary GPU and as main dusplay to second GPU, no problems playing movies that way while working at the same time.
              There's no point in splitting work evenly, that's why even in gaming multigpu setups are dying. Synchronizing differend threads, migration based on load, data migration required due o non-local memory increases complexity immensely and many possible performance gains are eaten by either need to copy data between GPUs or store all the data in memory of both.
              That's why even when Vulkan allows to join resources of multiple GPUs almost no one does that.

Work on external GPUs like that would allow to hot-remove GPU from running system which could be useful for VM setups. I can, for example, have more powerfull GPU that is used by desktop when it's avialable but is also assigned to VM, and less powerfull one connected to display and used to render stuff when the more powerfull one is not avialable.
              Thanks to DRI_PRIME at least part of that was implemented and many people were able to run multigpu setups like that in the past, but more recent amdgpu drivers disallow hot-remove and often crash.

Comment

Ooh, nice! I've been wondering if sticking the GPU in an eGPU box is viable for driver debugging and development. Compiling just the relevant kernel module and loading/unloading at will is way faster than having to compile the whole kernel, install and then restart.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Who the fuck is using a single system to watch a movie, see a desktop AND game at the same time, this isn't a LinusTechTips video, also how the fuck do you plan to deal with different input devices needed by the three different usecases at the same time.
                  Not on a laptop, but my desktop (R7 2700, RX580 8GB, dual-monitors) regularly games while streaming videos via my browser.

While being cooped up in my house, I regularly play WoW Classic in the evenings while watching either (currently) Star Trek: DS9 or (previously) Highlander episodes streaming from Amazon Prime in Chrome. Often with Firefox also open for looking up WoW-related quest/NPC/talent-tree stuff.

Lutris makes it pretty easy to get Wine+DXVK working for non-Steam games, and the single RX580 is handling 1920x1200 with mid-high WoW settings fairly well at 100fps while still rendering the video and browser on the second monitor just fine.

But you're right, desktop composition/rendering is small potatoes compared to the other tasks.

Related to "why eGPUs?": I'm currently shopping for a new laptop. I'm heavily leaning towards something with a Ryzen 4800U in it once I can find something decent for sale. If it supported an eGPU via Thunderbolt, I might give up most of my usage of my desktop altogether and just create a docking station with an eGPU in its place. It'd save a bunch of electricity and also gain my main machine some mobility.

I don't think that there will be any 4800U machines with TB3 compatibility anytime soon, but the next generation down the line? Maybe.

Edit: As for input devices, I'm just using the one set of KB/Mouse. WoW is a full-screen window, so I can just shove the move straight over to the second monitor and click pause/re-wind as needed and flick the mouse right back to the game window in about 1 second. I've got my UI set up for focus-follows-mouse, which auto-changes mouse/keyboard focus to whatever window the cursor is over.
                  Last edited by Veerappan; 11 May 2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Not on a laptop, but my desktop (R7 2700, RX580 8GB, dual-monitors) regularly games while streaming videos via my browser.

While being cooped up in my house, I regularly play WoW Classic in the evenings while watching either (currently) Star Trek: DS9 or (previously) Highlander episodes streaming from Amazon Prime in Chrome. Often with Firefox also open for looking up WoW-related quest/NPC/talent-tree stuff.
                    I understand having a desktop open to read things, but having both a movie and a game is kind of weird, I tend to assume the game is focusing most of your attention so the movie won't get much of it (or the reverse).

Edit: As for input devices, I'm just using the one set of KB/Mouse.
                    yeah, but this requires to move focus from game to movie/desktop/whatever. Admittedly I was thinking more of a multi-user setup where each user is doing stuff on his own screen with his own mouse and keyboard.

Afaik it's kind of doable https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multi-pointer_X but it requires manual setup. Don't know about doing it in Wayland.

Comment

I understand having a desktop open to read things, but having both a movie and a game is kind of weird, I tend to assume the game is focusing most of your attention so the movie won't get much of it (or the reverse).
                      That's why I tend to watch stuff on the second monitor I've already seen a few times before. It's background noise and something to watch when I'm flying between zones or doing other things that don't require active attention to the game (most of what I'm doing in this game lets my mind wander. I'm usually not in dedicated dungeon raids that require full attention span). Whether it's a good idea to multitask like that is secondary to the fact that I'm already doing it

yeah, but this requires to move focus from game to movie/desktop/whatever. Admittedly I was thinking more of a multi-user setup where each user is doing stuff on his own screen with his own mouse and keyboard.

Afaik it's kind of doable https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multi-pointer_X but it requires manual setup. Don't know about doing it in Wayland.
                      Haven't ever set up a multi-head scenario. Maybe someday when my kids get old enough to want their own gaming station, but at that point, I'll probably still have a decent enough backup system to hand down to them. I usually keep a few decent machines around for GPU/Compute driver/runtime development (less hardware swapping if I just hook several machines up to a KVM), so my hand-me-downs are probably better than most people would expect.

Comment

Working...
                      X