X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Depending on the GPU usage of each of the task that I want to do, it would be great if the driver could split the work evenly on all my GPUs like one for Desktop rendering, one for game rendering and one for movie rendering.
    This is very niche.

Who the fuck is using a single system to watch a movie, see a desktop AND game at the same time, this isn't a LinusTechTips video, also how the fuck do you plan to deal with different input devices needed by the three different usecases at the same time.

And also even if it wasn't complete bs concept, it's still mostly irrelevant, desktop rendering is a rounding error for anything that is also capable of gaming (i.e. any amdgpu card basically, and also AMD Ryzen APUs), and movie rendering is mostly handled by a separate component anyway (hardware decoding is its own thing, it's just bundled together with the 3D cores).

The whole work on the external GPU looks to me more like Apple crap ripoff where they can give you a pretty low performance system, buy hey, for lots of money we give this premium GPU to make your computer faster.
    It's far from it, having a laptop with a decent CPU and no dedicated graphics is great for portability, and when you are at home you can hook up more powerful graphics if you want.

It's not that economically viable right now, but it's still an interesting concept and worth investing in, if it catches on a bit prices will decrease.

It's still much less niche than your own setup at least. Rich people exist, people that can watch a movie, see a desktop and play a game at the same time with the same input devices connected don't.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
    What use has this ? eGPU, random gimmickery or a case of "it exists, so I want it baaaad" ?
    It's sad that you are too poor to buy laptops that can use an eGPU (and the eGPU itself) but let us rich white bois have the cool stuff please.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by autechy View Post

That's gross man. Go for a walk, breathe some fresh air or something. If its not useful for you just keep scrolling, also instead of telling people what they should work on just feel free to submit patches yourself.
    I am their customer and since they have not given me anything for free, I am entitled to give them my feedback, which in this case is constructive critcism.
    They can read it and do something about it or nothing, I just wanted o give them a chance to understand what I want to see from them before I vote with my wallet.
    I should submit patches for a private company, after I submitted money, really ???
    When you pay for a product, let's say a car, do you also go to work in their factory for a few days to help them ?

I cannot spend 2-3 years of my life learning programming at the required level and understanding their codebase to help them release better software which brings them more customers and money.

I can help the by translating the control panel in my native language if they ever release it for Linux, but it looks like that's not gonna happen, so I can help them with nothing.
    Last edited by Danny3; 05-10-2020, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• autechy
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    *loud vomit noises*
    That's gross man. Go for a walk, breathe some fresh air or something. If its not useful for you just keep scrolling, also instead of telling people what they should work on just feel free to submit patches yourself.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    What use has this ? eGPU, random gimmickery or a case of "it exists, so I want it baaaad" ?
    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/e.../overview.html items like this you are talking about with eGPU.

Yes it fast enough in a lot of cases as the following case study shows generally.
    https://www.amd.com/system/files/doc...case-study.pdf

4x Pcie gen3 limit is not a problem.

eGPU makes the most sense on laptops as connecting to a eGPU enclosure you can be changing your laptop and off load gpu work to the GPU inside the enclosure. Yes this can result in higher cpu speeds in the laptop as GPU heat production inside laptop drops.

Of course there has been issues be it windows or linux you disconnect eGPU hello full system crash. Apple you have been able to remove eGPU without system fatality for a while.

Also this would open the way for dynamic pass-though of GPU to virtual machines if eGPU stuff can be got to work. This is where you can pass though a GPU to a virtual machine then at a latter point transfer it back to host. Basically emulate the GPU being disconnected in the same way a thunderbolt port would to get GPU back from VM and to remove it from host.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Cool, but totally not useful for me.
    I would be much more happy to see improvements on multi-GPU in a system.
    Let's say I put 2 or 3 GPUs in my system, probably the exact same brand and model to make things easier.
    Then I want to do one of the following tasks:
    Have nice eye-candy Desktop with live / video wallpaper, wobbly windows, some conky themes, glava, etc
    Play a game
    Watch a movie
    Watch video in the browser
    Work in a virtual machine with GPU passthrough

Most of the time I will do only one of these at a time, but it could be cases where I want to do 2-3 at a time, like the desktop effects which I want to be always there and working or playing a movie on the TV, which is connected also to the computer while I game or do something else on my computer's monitor.
    Depending on the GPU usage of each of the task that I want to do, it would be great if the driver could split the work evenly on all my GPUs like one for Desktop rendering, one for game rendering and one for movie rendering.
    It would be nice also to see easier to install ROCm or more work with the distribution to include it by default so compute needed by LibreOffice or Glava, which I assume it needs to do some Fast Fourier transform to analyze the sounds, would just work.

The whole work on the external GPU looks to me more like Apple crap ripoff where they can give you a pretty low performance system, buy hey, for lots of money we give this premium GPU to make your computer faster.

Leave a comment:

• Marc1n
    replied
    Virtualization for example, when you can switch GPU between VM and host as needed. Currently you can't safely detach GPU from host if it's used by xorg for example.

Leave a comment:

• zion
    replied
    This is the best news of the day. Btw even Windows doesn't appreciated being disconnected from a eGPU, it crashes almost everytime.

Leave a comment:

• rvanlaar
    replied
    I would love to be able to use hotplug support with linux.
    On linux I have to connect the EGPU before X starts, and can only unplug it after my laptop has powered off.

Unplugging before that results in system locks. Which really makes that I can choose between being mobile: with suspend and resume. Or docking it and be forced to reboot.

Leave a comment:

• DL9220
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X