AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance On Mesa 20.1 Looking Good With RADV+ACO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    The level of improvement that Vega 56 has gotten leads me to believe something they've done must have un-blocked a bottleneck somewhere for the Vega 56.
    Indeed, ACO and state of AMDGPU in general has led me to upgrade to Vega 56 this year. I bought a GTX960 from the green team in 2015 for less than $200, and now five years later, upgraded to Vega for less than $200. Admittedly far from the bleeding edge, but certainly in the sweet spot of price/performance.

Comment

Those were the days my friend ...
      https://youtu.be/EiqgbInPYZA?t=300

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I always play with vsync on and I can notice a bit of input lag, but can live with it for the most part.

What is interesting to me is that "back in the days" we played with 25-30 fps and it was buttery smooth.
        Not sure how it was achieved, but I remember something about "hardware cursors".
        I think they had a way to update the cursor position just before they updated the screen, so it felt smooth, but I don't know.

Edit: Maybe input lag is more noticeable on higher resolutions as we played on 1024x768
        The main reason you could game at lower FPS back in the day was because the animation was far less detailed. To illustrate, let's assume our character can jump once per second. That means that if the jump command registers during that second, you won't notice any lag. But if that character could jump every 0,1s, and your input registered let's say at 0,5s, you would notice a 0.4s lag. The more fluid and rapid movement a game has, the more noticeable the input lag.

Back in the day, animation was choppy with few frames per move, so we didn't notice the low frame rates. We didn't even have analog controls back then, we only had digital "slow" controls. But as the movement and animation become more natural-like and with more frames per move, you needed a higher framerate in order to minimize input lag.

So, in a sense, old games didn't need high fps, but newer games need higher fps. And VR games need insane FPS.

Comment

Motion blur
          ​​​​

Comment

and soon there'll be an arm soc with this driver https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics...marks-spotted/
            how long until arm and qualcomm will follow imgtec path?

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
              What is interesting to me is that "back in the days" we played with 25-30 fps and it was buttery smooth.
              Not sure how it was achieved
              it was achieved by comparing your experience against 5-10 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                However, CRTs had some benefit due to hiding the low frame rates in flicker, whereas LCDs can appear more to have more judder due to the lack of flicker. Also some LCDs have ghosting. And way back, the 2D games where tightly designed and synced to the vertical refresh, so that they appeared more fluid.
                in additional to all of this lcds usually spend considerable time processing data, while plain old crt was shooting pixels immediately

Comment

Thanks Valve for this!

Comment

Allot of console gamers are VERY use to playing at 30fps. There are tricks MS/Sony do to make games seem decent at 30fps/hz that generally aren't used for PC games.

I can't wait for [email protected] monitors to become the normal thing. You can already get a few atm but the price can be pretty damn steep (and we will need 3080TI to even capitalize on them)

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

If 240 fps aren't smooth enough for you, you don't have lizard eyes, you have robotic eyes....

People don't notice the difference much in such high framerates. What people say when they talk about smoothness is the input lag. Low framerates make input lag more noticeable, since it takes longer for the result of your input to show to the monitor. While a high framerate means that any micro-move you make will instantly appear on the screen.

So it is not really about the eyes, it is about the hands.
                      You are not one of us...only Lizard People understand. Ask Hillary Clinton she will know what I'm talking about.

Fun aside. 144Hz are nice but I doubt that as you already wrote that Im able to recognize any change above. Only inputlag as you wrote.

Comment

Working...
                      X