Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, It's Generally Worthwhile Flipping On RADV's ACO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by novhack View Post
    This is exactly why I bought 5700XT. I'm really glad that AMD, Mesa and Valve people are cooperating this well. I hope it will last and improve even more.
    welcome to the club same here

Leave a comment:

• ntropy
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post
    I've set aco as default on for a while now and haven't noticed any regression at all. The most notable performance gain is seen in star citizen which is really heavy on shader compiling and stutters a lot (for a while until most of the shaders a cached) without aco - barely any stutter with aco on
    Thats true. Cant wait for SC to go for multi-threaded Vulkan support that will be a massive fps gain.

I have set aco to be enabled in the system path around the time when it was released and not even merged to mesa. After the initial release phase with some bugs, I have had no issues at all ever since. Where nvidia users often struggle to get a certain game running, for me its all just plug and play. Its pretty amazing and no difference to windows gaming anymore. Except that sometimes it is even running faster on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    I've set aco as default on for a while now and haven't noticed any regression at all. The most notable performance gain is seen in star citizen which is really heavy on shader compiling and stutters a lot (for a while until most of the shaders a cached) without aco - barely any stutter with aco on

Leave a comment:

• novhack
    replied
    This is exactly why I bought 5700XT. I'm really glad that AMD, Mesa and Valve people are cooperating this well. I hope it will last and improve even more.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    always feel glad to see the progress of mesa and navi 10 - very nice benchmark. Michael it would be interesting to see the same benchmark with 20.1 +aco build with lto flag.

p.s.: any reason for the micro regression of 20.0(aco) vs 20.1(aco) ? it is small but noticable.

You have said it is a few days old so it does not contain the latest (todays) merges of the 20.1 branchpoint/milestone e.g. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/4388 ?

edit: oibaf pointed out correctly that Micheal is using his ppa therefore all of the builds are with lto.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 30 April 2020, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, It's Generally Worthwhile Flipping On RADV's ACO

Phoronix: For Radeon Gamers On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, It's Generally Worthwhile Flipping On RADV's ACO

A premium supporter was asking this week whether for those newly-upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS if the graphics stack is in good enough shape or if I would recommend running Mesa 20.1-devel for better AMD Linux gaming performance... The short answer, sans any particular changes you are after in Mesa 20.1-devel, the bigger gain for running on this new Ubuntu release is to instead enable RADV+ACO as a much more pressing boost...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X