Many AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Improvements Sent In For Linux 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Improvements Sent In For Linux 5.8

Phoronix: Many AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Improvements Sent In For Linux 5.8

As I noted earlier this month, AMD has been amassing many graphics driver improvements for Linux 5.8. On Friday marked their first pull request to DRM-Next of the Radeon graphics driver improvements for this next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would love to see some improvement to the idle power so that my RX570 doesn't waste 29W while the monitors are off and everything is idle.

I feel like I have to be doing it wrong, but can't get it to idle below 29W. With Gnome + Wayland running it's 35W.

Comment

Originally posted by 2bluesc View Post
      Would love to see some improvement to the idle power so that my RX570 doesn't waste 29W while the monitors are off and everything is idle.

I feel like I have to be doing it wrong, but can't get it to idle below 29W. With Gnome + Wayland running it's 35W.
      It's the same w/ my RX580. It has two settings (normal and mining or some bullshit like that), in the mining mode mode memory speed is set higher, rest lower. In the mining mode it uses 17W (similar to Win value in both modes), else 30W. If i change the GPU and memory speed either to either setting, idle power will stay the same according to the mode. So i don't know what else the firmware does. Performance stays the same by the way. No matter if mining or default jumper setting is used...

Comment

Have you checked the clock speeds? My R9 390 keeps running at high clock speeds for some reason, even for simple desktop usage.

Comment

It'd be nice to see Navi 20 squared away before launch similar to Intel product launches.

Comment

Will HDMI audio ever work under Wayland? It works with the old radeon driver, so it's obviously an amdgpu bug.

Comment

I want HDMI 2.1 to be supported.
              I want Freesync over HDMI (VRR) to work too and also 4K at 120 Hz.
              If they release Navi 20 with an older version of HDMi than the 3 years old already 2.1, I will not buy any of their cards.
              I don't pay a lot of money for 4 years old technology.
              I want to see movies and play games in the best quality.
              It's enough that they release the software support very late and don't have a control panel, I will not take this kind of disadvantage on the hardware side too.

Comment

I want my MTV

Comment

Same here
                  Mine is an MSI version which has also the Zero-RPM feature to stop the fans if they are needed.
                  But guess what, that feature only works on Windows, on Linux they run all the time, even if they are not needed, consuming more power of course and making more noise.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post

It's the same w/ my RX580. It has two settings (normal and mining or some bullshit like that), in the mining mode mode memory speed is set higher, rest lower. In the mining mode it uses 17W (similar to Win value in both modes), else 30W. If i change the GPU and memory speed either to either setting, idle power will stay the same according to the mode. So i don't know what else the firmware does. Performance stays the same by the way. No matter if mining or default jumper setting is used...
                    I recommend Radeon Profile. You can run it as a service too and if it is in autostart you get a nice symbol in the task bar to monitor core & memory clock, temperatures and power cap.

Comment

Working...
                    X