No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 20.10 vs. Upstream Linux AMD Radeon OpenGL / Vulkan Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 20.10 vs. Upstream Linux AMD Radeon OpenGL / Vulkan Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Software 20.10 vs. Upstream Linux AMD Radeon OpenGL / Vulkan Performance

With last week's release of Radeon Software for Linux 20.10 as AMD's first packaged graphics driver update for Linux of 2020, here are some benchmarks showing how the performance compares to what is shipped by Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS as well as when using the newer Mesa and Linux kernel releases for the very latest open-source performance, including switching over to RADV+ACO for Vulkan gaming.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ACO si awesome! Thank you Valve and everyone involved!
    I wonder what voodoo does the proprietary driver when detecting Unigine..
    Could you try renaming unigine binary to see if there's some app profile and it is taking some non-conformant shortcuts ?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      ACO si awesome! Thank you Valve and everyone involved!
      I wonder what voodoo does the proprietary driver when detecting Unigine..
      Could you try renaming unigine binary to see if there's some app profile and it is taking some non-conformant shortcuts ?
      That was one result, on one card - I think you're reading too much into it

Comment

So, basically, any combination of Linux 5.3+ and Mesa 20+ is good to go if ya got an AMD GPU. That's nice to know since I'm off to install Arch with ALEZ...meaning that I'll be locked to Linux 5.4 until the next ZoL release. I think I'm gonna be done installing random distributions for a while after today.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

That was one result, on one card - I think you're reading too much into it
          Actually, I was referring at this one:

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            So, basically, any combination of Linux 5.3+ and Mesa 20+ is good to go if ya got an AMD GPU. That's nice to know since I'm off to install Arch with ALEZ...meaning that I'll be locked to Linux 5.4 until the next ZoL release. I think I'm gonna be done installing random distributions for a while after today.
            Unless that's an issue with ALEZ requiring the older kernel. I've got ZoL on my Arch install running Linux 5.6 using the ArchZFS repo and DKMS modules. There was a bump in the road going to Linux 5.5 for a few weeks, but that was cleared up.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Unless that's an issue with ALEZ requiring the older kernel. I've got ZoL on my Arch install running Linux 5.6 using the ArchZFS repo and DKMS modules. There was a bump in the road going to Linux 5.5 for a few weeks, but that was cleared up.
              While nice to know since I didn't, I checked and they're using .8.3 with some patches from the ZoL repo being proposed for an upcoming .8.4 release. Using unpatched/official ZoL, that stuck on 5.4 issue is still relevant.

Comment

All interesting radeon generations. And not FHD anymore. But I think that UHD resolution results would also interesting, especially because FHD(and lower) will be soon reserved for raytraced games only.
                And when benchmarking AMD PRO I believe it would be interesting to benchmark using all OpenCL implementations: Mesa, Free ROCm stack and AMD proprietary one. To more complicate things ROCm kernel modules are provided by upstream kernel, open ROCm project, and AMD providies in their proprietary package. To complicate more, you can mix and match them together, with some combinations working and some not :P
                Last edited by evil_core; 24 April 2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                  To more complicate things ROCm kernel modules are provided by upstream kernel, open ROCm project, and AMD providies in their proprietary package.
                  The kernel drivers in ROCm stack and packaged graphics drivers come from the same codeline these days, and the offset from upstream is very small as well. The primary difference these days is timing, since upstream kernel releases, ROCm stack releases and packaged graphics driver releases all have different cycles.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The kernel drivers in ROCm stack and packaged graphics drivers come from the same codeline these days, and the offset from upstream is very small as well. The primary difference these days is timing, since upstream kernel releases, ROCm stack releases and packaged graphics driver releases all have different cycles.
                    Thx Master for reply. Could you elaborate about userspace differences between all three stacks?

Comment

Working...
                    X