Linux 5.7 Delivering Some Gaming Performance Gains For AMD Radeon Navi GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.7 Delivering Some Gaming Performance Gains For AMD Radeon Navi GPUs

Phoronix: Linux 5.7 Delivering Some Gaming Performance Gains For AMD Radeon Navi GPUs

For those using AMD Radeon "Navi" GPUs, the in-development Linux 5.7 kernel is delivering some minor performance improvements compared to prior kernels.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that was fast

Comment

Glad to see the maturing progress of kernel+mesa+dxvk. Im still very happy with my descission to buy a 5700 XT .it "just works better and better"

Comment

Anyone knows how can I increase easily power cap for my 5700XT easily? Just like in Windows AMD drivers you can add 50% more power cap?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Any signs of big navi drivers?
          That is an excellent question, will be doing a dual upgrade down the road in a year or so, and RDNA 2.0 is in that plan. I want a bargain though, at least a 15%-25% price drop.

Sometimes you have to watch like a hawk everyday just to see a drop before stuff shoots back up. Did that with my GTX 1070. While the 5700xt is a great GPU, the prices right now for a good model are pretty dick headed ones, the markup's piss me off, some sellers along with the sites Amazon and Newegg need to go get stuffed.

I have been seriously starting to consider getting stuff off the used market like ebay just to stiff amazon and newegg.
          Last edited by creative; 18 April 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

@Michael: Interesting benchmarks, with VII as requested. But I personally think that you should do not only FHD benchmarks, but UHD too. And I think that you should start making VR benchmarks too(because it's future of gamng, and used widely today for plane/car simulators). I know that hardware can be pricey, but I guess using OSVR/OpenHMD you simulate, because everything is about rendering prararelly scene twice at high refresh rates

But I'm overally amazed that 5700XT is faster than VII. I've ordered cheaply 5700XT when it was new, but cancelled my order to buy used VII for similar price(better result in benchmarks + better support under linux then). I also (naively) believed that VBIOS will be cracked soon, allowing higher FP64 calculations.
            I also wonder if Navi got any real hardware advantage overGCN, and it's not mainly scheduler thing, so software thing(that could be theoretically changed withnew firmware - I know it's not in interest of AMD ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
              @Michael: And I think that you should start making VR benchmarks to
              I requested half-life alyx VR benchmarks from michael... but got no answer. i think there are technical problems
              i am sure as soon as possible if the technical problems are fixed we will get VR benchmarks.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
                Anyone knows how can I increase easily power cap for my 5700XT easily? Just like in Windows AMD drivers you can add 50% more power cap?
                I multible time asked bridgman about driver GUI for the Open-source driver.
                i really do not know why AMD don't do any GUI work

in the past bridgman multible times told us that a GUI makes no sense if the driver is not yet finised

i agree to this but on the other side for many people the driver is well done and better/faster than the closed source driver.

but still no driver GUI?... i have bought multible vega64 in the past for linux and yes all people i talk about who also have vega64 and want to switch from windows to linux they are really stunned by the fact that there is no good driver GUI for the linux systems.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I am quite happy with not having any driver GUI... Just make a small tool that set the environment variables if you want to control something like that!

Comment

Glad to see Navi and Renoir improvements. My Radeon 5700XT runs great, as does my Ryzen 3800X. What I wonder about though, is how well Navi works on mobile. Are laptops like the MSI Alpha 15 a total disaster, or do they work as expected?

Comment

Working...
                    X