Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software For Linux 20.10 Driver Released

Phoronix: Radeon Software For Linux 20.10 Driver Released

AMD has finally released their first "Radeon Software for Linux" packaged driver release to succeed their Radeon Software for Linux 19.50 driver series that saw its last update in December. Radeon Software for Linux 20.10 is available today as their first packaged Linux driver update of 2020 for AND Radeon Linux owners as the packaged solution intended for easy installation of their All-Open and "PRO" driver components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought that they added support for Ubuntu 20.04 which will be released in less than a week.
    Disappointing as always.
    Probably it's my fault since I forget they are nowhere near to Nvidia's release plans.
    In 2 years or more they will be probably ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Probably it's my fault since I forget they are nowhere near to Nvidia's release plans.
      You'll have to elaborate on that.

Comment

I thought that they added support for Ubuntu 20.04 which will be released in less than a week.
        Disappointing as always.
        Or, alternatively: AMDGPU-PRO is a niche driver for very specific tasks and you're better off with the open-source driver, as AMD stated in the past. If you're using *buntu you can just add a PPA with the latest Mesa/kernel and be done with it.

Comment

AMD's proprietary driver targets enterprise users, who don't usually jump on the new, shiny stuff. So lack of buntu 20.04 support shouldn't be surprising, though it is disappointing.

Comment

Is there complete changelog around? I wonder if they have fixed bug with CentOS8 + Ryzen 2400g randomly crashing with 19.50 driver?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Or, alternatively: AMDGPU-PRO is a niche driver for very specific tasks and you're better off with the open-source driver, as AMD stated in the past. If you're using *buntu you can just add a PPA with the latest Mesa/kernel and be done with it.
              Is OpenCL that specific or compute is really niche in Linux ?
              I managed with a lot of pain to install ROCm and to make it work, but there is still some software that fails to work anyway.
              Someone said that the problem that I'm having is because I haven't installed the AMDGPU-PRO.
              Since that problem won't go away, I'm thinking I will need to install it and see if that solves the problem.

But just because I need fully functioning OpenCL, it doesn't mean than I want to get stuck with a 2 years old distro, which means also multiple DE versions old.

Comment

Is OpenCL that specific or compute is really niche in Linux ?
                I managed with a lot of pain to install ROCm and to make it work, but there is still some software that fails to work anyway.
                Someone said that the problem that I'm having is because I haven't installed the AMDGPU-PRO.
                Since that problem won't go away, I'm thinking I will need to install it and see if that solves the problem.

But just because I need fully functioning OpenCL, it doesn't mean than I want to get stuck with a 2 years old distro, which means also multiple DE versions old.
                Oh, yeah, that OpenCL thing.

You can also get "stuck" with OpenSUSE Leap (aka SLED but free), which is always officially supported and gets feature updates every year.

Comment

Disappointing as always.
                  Why would they? Ubuntu 20.04 comes with a better driver out of the box already.

Comment

Wait, does "software package" mean AMD has finally produced a GUI equivalent of Adrenalin? Or are we still stuck with partially functional third party attempts?

Comment

Working...
                    X