Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Amassing Improvements For Linux 5.8

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Amassing Improvements For Linux 5.8

While the Linux 5.7 merge window just ended on Sunday, with the DRM-Next cutoff for new material coming weeks prior to that, AMD developers working on their AMDGPU DRM kernel driver already have over 200 patches accumulated for the next cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I could see 5.9 for Fedora but not for Ubuntu, i think Ubuntu will stick to 5.8, it is typical of them to be very conservative.

Comment

What is AMD doing wrong on Linux?
      Linux users are going with Nvidia instead of AMD, despite AMD having open source code drivers.

According to the Folding@home stats, Nvidia is 16x more popular than AMD on Linux. Nvidia is more popular than AMD on Windows too, but by not such a big margin as on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Linux users are going with Nvidia instead of AMD, despite AMD having open source code drivers.

According to the Folding@home stats, Nvidia is 16x more popular than AMD on Linux. Nvidia is more popular than AMD on Windows too, but by not such a big margin as on Linux.
        Erm... My Navi 10 (RX 5700) experience on Ubuntu is, well, not exactly stellar.

Comment

Maybe because there was a time, when AMD GPUs sucked on Linux and people still have Nvidia hardware from that time?
          Before my current Navi adventure, I had a Nvidia GTX 970. At the time I bought it, there were no open source drivers from AMD, no DXVK and most games from Feral required Nvidia?

Comment

F@H is not the right metric.
            Everybody knows OpenCL is still experimental in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post
              I had a Nvidia GTX 970. At the time I bought it, there were no open source drivers from AMD...
              Huh? AMD open source drivers have existed for a while before that. They've even been (generally) better than AMD's proprietary drivers for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post

Maybe because there was a time, when AMD GPUs sucked on Linux and people still have Nvidia hardware from that time?
                Before my current Navi adventure, I had a Nvidia GTX 970. At the time I bought it, there were no open source drivers from AMD, no DXVK and most games from Feral required Nvidia?
                What? AMD had decent opensource drivers since early 2010s dude. When the GTX 970 came out, AMD drivers were good enough. Now they are very good, and during the next one-two years they will surpass Nvidia in almost everything.

It is just that people buy what brand they perceive as being quality. It doesn't matter if it really is, what matters is that they believe it is. People are morons, and that's a fact. It makes sense that most don't know how to shop. If people were intelligent Apple wouldn't exist in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Huh? AMD open source drivers have existed for a while before that. They've even been (generally) better than AMD's proprietary drivers for a while now.
                  And those drivers were good for 3D games? I remember a terrible experience with X-COM: Enemy Unknown, so I switched to Nvidia and live was suddenly good for me.

Comment

Clover has been abandoned by AMD for awhile, it never worked with F@H.
                    Installing either rocm or the opencl pro component is hit or miss. I trashed my Neon install following a guide last week.
                    It's far far easier to fold on an AMD gpu using Windows.
                    The F@H client is in dire need of an update as well. Several components still rely on python2 and an outdated version of openssl. Unless it's packaged as a Snap/Flatpack/Docker it's poised to become a security issue on the new releases like Ubuntu 20.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X