Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon 9200 SE direct rendering difficulties (Xubuntu Intrepid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9200 SE direct rendering difficulties (Xubuntu Intrepid)

Hi everyone. This forum seems to be the only one where answerers know what they say so I'll try to be the more explicit I can.

I already search for solutions on Ubuntu forums and the entire web including this forum so I hope to not being asking for a question already solved (access granted for kicking my *ss if I'm wrong).

You have to know that I'm quite still a beginner (senior beginner maybe) using Linux and especially concerning xorg.conf's configuration. An other important point is that English is not my native language but anyway I'll try to be the clearest as possible.

Let's describe my computer :
    lspci :
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)

I'm not able to activate direct rendering and I think that's generating lags with my flash player. Being a webdevelopper you'll understand it's a bit frustrating.

After a lot of time I think I focused on the good log :
    oam@chez-oam:~$ glxinfo | grep render
    libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.3.0 r200 (screen 0)
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Context)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: r200_dri.so
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20060602 AGP 8x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE TCL

All packages related to fglrx are purged excepted the one for Jockey (I also may kick it out...).

You have to know I tried a lot of useless tricks to fix it (changing libgl.so for example as adviced on some forums). So my os maybe a bit different from default config. Anyway after a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" performances come back to their first status so it doesn't seem so important.

An other information :
    In the best case, glxgears gave me about 1600 fps. Sometimes (depending on the xorg.conf i test it can be about 850 or 150fps in the worst case). Default configuration is the best case.
    I've seen it can go through to ~5000 with this video card on some forums.

Sorry to be so long but I really think compatibility with old hardware is more important for linux than other OSs. Because Linux is a product of dreamers, surely the only free product all over the world that can be the best in its category (...with firefox); and using old hardware means giving quality to those who haven't enough money to be swindled by porks as Microsoft.

So, as I saw that X's developers come here, I hope my issue will help you to improve this impressive soft (at least as I hope that this issue is not caused by myself).

Let's stop talking, I'm waiting for questions and tests if you need.
    Thanks in advance.

looks like your 3D driver wasn't compiled properly.

Comment

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-ati

and make sure that radeon and drm module is loaded into kernel:
      lsmod |grep radeon

edit: also good to check that all mesa packages are correctly installed: libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-glx
      Last edited by suokko; 10 February 2009, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I'm using the driver "radeon" of the kernel...

Actually I read that the free driver was a part of the kernel (it seems to be wrong). So may I recompile it and, if it's the case, how can I do it.

That's the xorg.conf i use :

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Configured Video Device"
        Driver "radeon"
        EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Configured Monitor"
        EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
        Monitor "Configured Monitor"
        Device "Configured Video Device"
        EndSection

The changes I tried haven't gave any result so I let it the simpler as possible.

"sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-ati "
        => 0 mis ? jour, 0 nouvellement install?s, 11 ? enlever et 0 non mis ? jour.
        (nothing to do in english).

"root@chez-oam:~# lsmod |grep radeon "
        =>
        radeon 124192 2
        drm 82452 3 radeon
        Last edited by Demos; 10 February 2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

/usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so is the 3D driver. As the error message indicates it's missing symbols. There's some problem with the 3D driver. Make sure you've updated your 3D drivers (libgl1-mesa-dri on debian or ubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by Demos View Post
            [..]
            All packages related to fglrx are purged excepted the one for Jockey (I also may kick it out...).
            [..]
            If you had fglrx installed, it can be, that the fglrx's libGL.so is still used (even if the package is not installed any more).

Try
            Code:
            $ locate libGL.so
            and if there are other entries than
            Code:
            /usr/lib/libGL.so
            /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
            /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
            delete them (better to make some backups first) reboot and see if it worked out.

If you are not sure to delete, you can also post the results first.
            And the results of
            Code:
            $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(WW)\|(EE)\|(NI)\|(??)"
            too, please.

Comment

First,
              Code:
              root@chez-oam:~#  locate libGL.so
              /home/oam/libGL.so.1.2
              /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
              /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
              /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2.backup
              /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa
              Code:
              root@chez-oam:~#  cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(WW)\|(EE)\|(NI)\|(??)"
              	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
              (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
              (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
              (WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map, adjusting ...
              (WW) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION  was: 0xd7ffd000 is: 0xd7ffd000
              (WW) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is: 0xe07fe000
              So i chose to make a full clean of my packages. I removed all traces of uninstalled packages, updated everything, autoclean, etc.

After a reboot, there wasn't any rest of fglrx (i hope).

Then, "glxinfo | grep render" still returned error :
              Code:
              libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
              so I switched libGL.so.1.2 and its backup. As said before, I downloaded the old libGL 1.2 while i was trying to use fglrx.

It returns now :

Code:
              root@chez-oam:~# glxinfo | grep render
              glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
              root@chez-oam:~#  locate libGL.so
              /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
              /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
              /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2.backup
              and

Code:
              root@chez-oam:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(WW)\|(EE)\|(NI)\|(??)"
              	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
              (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
              (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
              (WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map, adjusting ...
              (WW) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION  was: 0xd7ffd000 is: 0xd7ffd000
              (WW) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is: 0xe07fe000

I think I have the good libGL.so.1.2 now but... My word is not trusty.
              Last edited by Demos; 11 February 2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Have you fixed the build errors that agd5f mentioned ? From a distance it sounds like your 3d lib is simply not building correctly and is therefore not being found at runtime.
                Test signature

Comment

@Demos
                  When you get errors on open shared libs like libGL.so.1 and r200_dri.so, just do:
                  Code:
                  $ sudo apt-get --reinstall install libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
                  And please don't change they libs manually, you maybe get undefined symbols because of that, also NEVER use root privilegies without real needs (you can also get undefined symbols if you building mesa as root) and don't ever tried fglrx, because your card is not supported by that driver, etc.

Comment

rebooting and rebooting (beacause ctrl+alt+backspace gave me strange results) I finally saw that my grub hadn't been upgraded when I installed Interpid (my iso is a hardy one).
                    I fix it now but I don't know if my troubles come from it.

Anyway I reinstalled all mesa's packages using Synaptic or apt-get so much times that i'm getting totally crazy .

The symbol issue has been solved when I cleaned the last fglrx file from my Linux.

I tried to recompile libgl following content of http://www.mesa3d.org/ but as a beginner I haven't been able to do anything after ./configure.

Anyway, the only pb now is that one :
                    Code:
                    libGL error: dlopen /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so failed (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
                    I still hope i'll solve it one day and I thank you for the help you've already gave.

Comment

Working...
                    X