Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDCP+firefox+amd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

    Well, I run Kubuntu (19.10) but I build my own kernels as I have an IceLake CPU and want the bleeding-edge improvements. If you're undaunted by that, just enable the "CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_HDCP" option as a module when you remake your kernel. It was introduced in the 5.0 kernel in commit 64e9bbdd958, so maybe your distro may already have the module available (try "modprobe mei_hdcp").

    I see it being loaded once my i915 gets loaded during boot, but I have no way to tell if it's ever being used (or even available) so a way to verify that would be nice.
    I am an amd user so that is not going to help me. I am using manjaro with kernsl from manjaro, repo ck and a user linux amd repo. Any of them have mei_HDCP enabled I think because I am rigth now in 5.5 linux and there is no such module( anyways i have amd, but the module anyways have to be here)
    I am creating posts for seeing if there is such module support already in the kernel or not, when this thing arrives in my kernel I am going to test if firefox can use it by default or it will be needed some extra work for widevine to support it( that is the hipotetical thing, i doubt that it will work without any work)

    Somebody have any ideas?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

      Well, I run Kubuntu (19.10) but I build my own kernels as I have an IceLake CPU and want the bleeding-edge improvements. If you're undaunted by that, just enable the "CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_HDCP" option as a module when you remake your kernel. It was introduced in the 5.0 kernel in commit 64e9bbdd958, so maybe your distro may already have the module available (try "modprobe mei_hdcp").

      I see it being loaded once my i915 gets loaded during boot, but I have no way to tell if it's ever being used (or even available) so a way to verify that would be nice.
      if you have a prime amazon account, try to play something with the user agent changed to windows version of your browser( like chrome o firefox windows latest version) you know what I am saying, not?
      If you play that with linux user agent amazon won't tell you anything and play at 480p rate. If you put windows user agent there are 3 options here:
      1: you are going to be told that HDCP is not working because YOU have not HDCP in your system well enabled( likely to be because I think we need some user space tools)
      2: you are going to get FHD because HDCP is working and DRM recognises it with widevine( not expected and ideal hipotetical situation)
      3: DRM failling or something similate like getting a HDCP error but for faulty DRM widevine inside chromium or firefox that don't recognises HDCP in your system( expected)

      Hipotetical cases for me.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post
        I see you are an ati developper, if you are not totally sure about this I don't know who can be xD.
        Seriously, don't you know anybody in your team( or mails) that know this?
        I think you'll have to ask the content providers and browser vendors what their plans are for widevine on Linux. At the moment the only platforms I'm aware of that support protected content are the secure ones like android or set top boxes.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by agd5f View Post

          I think you'll have to ask the content providers and browser vendors what their plans are for widevine on Linux. At the moment the only platforms I'm aware of that support protected content are the secure ones like android or set top boxes.
          I am asking it right now. I have done a bug in firefox and after that I am going to do that on chromium side. We will see what's the plan about widevine and hdcp support.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

            Well, I run Kubuntu (19.10) but I build my own kernels as I have an IceLake CPU and want the bleeding-edge improvements. If you're undaunted by that, just enable the "CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_HDCP" option as a module when you remake your kernel. It was introduced in the 5.0 kernel in commit 64e9bbdd958, so maybe your distro may already have the module available (try "modprobe mei_hdcp").

            I see it being loaded once my i915 gets loaded during boot, but I have no way to tell if it's ever being used (or even available) so a way to verify that would be nice.
            https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/hdcp-detection/
            open it with chromium or firefox( but with firefox you have to enable a flag in about:config called media.eme.hdcp-policy-check.enabled) you will get surely no support of hdcp at all in any version.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by agd5f View Post

              I think you'll have to ask the content providers and browser vendors what their plans are for widevine on Linux. At the moment the only platforms I'm aware of that support protected content are the secure ones like android or set top boxes.
              I think the support is here, only needs to widevine to see it and use it for firefox and chromium.
              see my output of xrandr --verbose:
              Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
              eDP connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (0x58) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
              Identifier: 0x53
              Timestamp: 31280
              Subpixel: unknown
              Gamma: 1.0:1.0:1.0
              Brightness: 1.0
              Clones:
              CRTC: 0
              CRTCs: 0 1 2 3
              Transform: 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
              0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
              0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
              filter:
              EDID:
              00ffffffffffff0006afed2100000000
              001a0104a5221378026e859358589228
              1e505400000001010101010101010101
              010101010101143780b4703824406c30
              aa0058c1100000180000000f00000000
              00000000000000000020000000fe0041
              554f0a202020202020202020000000fe
              004231353648414e30322e31200a0022
              GAMMA_LUT_SIZE: 4096
              range: (0, -1)
              DEGAMMA_LUT_SIZE: 4096
              range: (0, -1)
              GAMMA_LUT: 0
              range: (0, 65535)
              CTM: 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
              0 1
              DEGAMMA_LUT: 0
              range: (0, 65535)
              TearFree: auto
              supported: off, on, auto
              HDCP Content Type: HDCP Type0
              supported: HDCP Type0, HDCP Type1
              Content Protection: Undesired
              supported: Undesired, Desired, Enabled
              vrr_capable: 0
              range: (0, 1)
              abm level: 0
              range: (0, 4)
              max bpc: 16
              range: (8, 16)
              underscan vborder: 0
              range: (0, 128)
              underscan hborder: 0
              range: (0, 128)
              underscan: off
              supported: off, on, auto
              scaling mode: None
              supported: None, Full, Center, Full aspect
              link-status: Good
              supported: Good, Bad
              CONNECTOR_ID: 64
              supported: 64
              non-desktop: 0
              range: (0, 1)
              1920x1080 (0x58) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync *current +preferred
              h: width 1920 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 1080 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              1680x1050 (0x59) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 1680 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 1050 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              1280x1024 (0x5a) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 1280 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 1024 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              1440x900 (0x5b) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 1440 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 900 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              1280x800 (0x5c) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 1280 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 800 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              1280x720 (0x5d) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 1280 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 720 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              1024x768 (0x5e) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 1024 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 768 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              800x600 (0x5f) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 800 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 600 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz
              640x480 (0x60) 141.000MHz -HSync -VSync
              h: width 640 start 2028 end 2076 total 2100 skew 0 clock 67.14KHz
              v: height 480 start 1090 end 1100 total 1116 clock 60.16Hz

              We need widevine/chromium/firefox to request support for hdcp and the intel/amd drivers has to change it to enabled. since here we are using hdcp, but the problem is that now this support is not implemented I think( for linux specifically, I think is easy to support since chrome is using the same things)
              No needs to use only android or tv boxes, the support is here, in-kernel, and only needs user space tools like in windows( that is not a tv box or android at all..)

              Okey, there isn't support for everything right now, because there is only support on zen amd and the latest generations in intel, but the support is here, we can use it.
              Last edited by amdtesterman; 03-27-2020, 07:37 AM.

              Comment


              • #17
                HDCP is only part of the puzzle. That just handles the link between the display and the GPU. Widewine also requires that the content be encrypted in memory as well. Support for TEE (trusted execution environment) for AMD platforms recently went upstream and support for handling encrypted buffers on the GPU is not yet upstream (still just patches on the mailing list).

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  HDCP is only part of the puzzle. That just handles the link between the display and the GPU. Widewine also requires that the content be encrypted in memory as well. Support for TEE (trusted execution environment) for AMD platforms recently went upstream and support for handling encrypted buffers on the GPU is not yet upstream (still just patches on the mailing list).
                  is not Encrypted buffers on the GPU only needed for Protected video decoding? I think is not needed because in windows chrome tells me that this thing is unavalaible, anyways here I have hdcp 2.3 and the capability to use amazon prime at 1080p.
                  and it's a puzzle, yeah, but.. if chrome and firefox can't access at least to hdcp, how can we get video protected content to playback in Linux?

                  Sorry for the inconveniences and the confuse

                  PD: is it known something about these patches and when the support will be finished?
                  PD2: if there is no support yet in kernel side, do you know if it's something that is going to be achieved? and after that.. will the browsers be able to use it for things like amazon prime like in windows I mean GNU distros not android ones, because for me the important thing is distros..
                  Anyways, much thanks for your work in the open source drivers, seriosly, it's a great job, I hope all of this is going to be good for Linux and for being more popular.
                  Last edited by amdtesterman; 03-27-2020, 10:51 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

                    is not Encrypted buffers on the GPU only needed for Protected video decoding? I think is not needed because in windows chrome tells me that this thing is unavalaible, anyways here I have hdcp 2.3 and the capability to use amazon prime at 1080p.
                    and it's a puzzle, yeah, but.. if chrome and firefox can't access at least to hdcp, how can we get video protected content to playback in Linux?
                    There are different levels of widewine with different requirements. Encrypted memory is only required for certain levels. Windows uses a similar API called Playready which I think has similar levels. Regardless of what the OS supports, content provides have different policies on different OSes, so even if Linux supported all the necessary capabilities, you'd still need support from the content providers.

                    Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post
                    PD: is it known something about these patches and when the support will be finished?
                    Just finishing up a few corner cases and getting the relevant mesa code out.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by agd5f View Post

                      There are different levels of widewine with different requirements. Encrypted memory is only required for certain levels. Windows uses a similar API called Playready which I think has similar levels. Regardless of what the OS supports, content provides have different policies on different OSes, so even if Linux supported all the necessary capabilities, you'd still need support from the content providers.



                      Just finishing up a few corner cases and getting the relevant mesa code out.
                      Okey, thanks again for all. The only thing is to pressure the content providers like disney plus and amazon video for giving us a good resolution in linux since view a film in 480 in 2020 is a shitty thing that is not going to worth the paying. They have to work to improve here the playabk if they want me to pay..

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X