HDCP+firefox+amd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDCP+firefox+amd

Dear phoronix members, I have a few questions about the HDCP integration state in Linux and the support.

I am using Linux kernels from manjaro and arch unnoficial repos and I havee Amd graphics vega moblity( ryzen 7 3700U) but if I play amazon video there is no choice of having HD video playbak so I feel like there is some failing point. so..
    it can be browser problem( widevine not having support for hdcp), linux not enabling it by deafult in them config or build or both.
    Do you know how to check DRM HDCP state in browsers and in the screen?
    something that tells you that your screen supports HDCP and something that tells you that your broswer supports HDCP component of DRM

It's only available on locked down platforms like android or set top boxes where the end user can't readily change the platform software.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      It's only available on locked down platforms like android or set top boxes where the end user can't readily change the platform software.
      so.. there is no way we can get it on usual distros like ubuntu, manjaro, debian.. that way we can see protected content like amazon prime video or disney +?

It feels a little bit bad. I thought that this incomming support would improve a lot the protected content and the paranoids of the industries

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post
        so.. there is no way we can get it on usual distros like ubuntu, manjaro, debian.. that way we can see protected content like amazon prime video or disney +?
        As far as I know, that is correct.

Comment

Do you know how to check DRM HDCP state in browsers and in the screen? Something that tells you that your screen supports HDCP and something that tells you that your broswer supports HDCP component of DRM?
          I'm actually interested to an answer to this question, as well- I've enabled the "HDCP" kernel module for the Intel MEI that's supposed to work with the i915 kernel driver, apparently to provide an HDCP path for video out. I'd like to know if it works (and well enough to satisfy content providers per the OP's question).

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

I'm actually interested to an answer to this question, as well- I've enabled the "HDCP" kernel module for the Intel MEI that's supposed to work with the i915 kernel driver, apparently to provide an HDCP path for video out. I'd like to know if it works (and well enough to satisfy content providers per the OP's question).
            How do you do it? I mean how can you enable in a distro-like GNU Linux the HDCP of intel?

Anyways, it is suppose for firefox( and widevine) to support hdcp.. but... anybody knows. I want HDCP support out of the box at some way because is so importatn to have the possibility to view protected content( paranoids in industries..)

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

As far as I know, that is correct.
              I see you are an ati developper, if you are not totally sure about this I don't know who can be xD.
              Seriously, don't you know anybody in your team( or mails) that know this?

I ask because I am planning to test this support and to investigate a little bit to try to improve the user experience in linux because I am not a developper...
              I can not help with code, but testing and investigating for inform other users

Comment

Michael Do you know something since you have wrote about this?
                I have read much topics from you about this but it 's not clear for me what's the objetive of having HDCP support in kernel.

Comment

I mean how can you enable in a distro-like GNU Linux the HDCP of intel?
                  Well, I run Kubuntu (19.10) but I build my own kernels as I have an IceLake CPU and want the bleeding-edge improvements. If you're undaunted by that, just enable the "CONFIG_INTEL_MEI_HDCP" option as a module when you remake your kernel. It was introduced in the 5.0 kernel in commit 64e9bbdd958, so maybe your distro may already have the module available (try "modprobe mei_hdcp").

I see it being loaded once my i915 gets loaded during boot, but I have no way to tell if it's ever being used (or even available) so a way to verify that would be nice.

Comment

Really interesting to read this ..Pls follow my post also its for IT graduate learning course for there career skills
                    Ai training in chennai

Comment

Working...
                    X