RADV Lands AMD GCN 1.0/1.1 Fix For DOOM Eternal On Linux Under Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands AMD GCN 1.0/1.1 Fix For DOOM Eternal On Linux Under Steam Play

Phoronix: RADV Lands AMD GCN 1.0/1.1 Fix For DOOM Eternal On Linux Under Steam Play

Doom Eternal was released this week by id Software as their first game atop the Vulkan-focused id Tech 7 engine. While it's another id Software game not seeing a native Linux port, with some tweaking the game can run under Steam Play / Proton. And now Mesa's RADV Vulkan driver has landed a fix for AMD GCN 1.0/1.1 era GPUs with a fix allowing those older graphics cards to handle this latest Doom title...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the Steam client under Debian it looks like the game is only available on Windows.

Comment

It requires Steam beta client for the vulkan part of steam runtime.
      Performance is majestic if using amdvlk.
      I've played it 2 hours already, no crash.
      Running ultra graphics on rx480 1080p.
      It seems to run with native speed.
      Nvidia users should stay away till nvidia releases a working driver.

Comment

Too bad to hear my RTX2070 will be waiting ...

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
          It requires Steam beta client for the vulkan part of steam runtime.
          Performance is majestic if using amdvlk.
          I've played it 2 hours already, no crash.
          Running ultra graphics on rx480 1080p.
          Nvidia users should stay away till nvidia releases a working driver.
          Glad to hear that, although I am one of those (sad) Nvidia users waiting for support to buy the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
            Open AMDVLK is nowhere near Windows performance, the proprietary Vulkan driver is another 25-30% faster on my RX 480.

RADV runs even worse without ACO, and ACO requires a pending MR + some hacks to expose missing features.

Comment

It's a shame that id no longer releases native Linux versions of their games, or open sources their older games, since the Bethesda buyout.

Comment

Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
                Open AMDVLK is nowhere near Windows performance, the proprietary Vulkan driver is another 25-30% faster on my RX 480.
                We should note that many people, including some normally smart online reviewers, are very confused by Doom Eternal.

The game is designed to dynamically adjust its graphics quality in real time in order to maintain frame rate at all costs. There are apparently override settings for this. I don't know what they are. But, if you don't use them performance numbers will be deceptive, including at least one I saw where a dinky AMD 460 had better framerate numbers than an Nvidia 1080. It did, but that's because the Nvidia was ACTUALLY using better textures and more rendering features.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
                  It's a shame that id no longer releases native Linux versions of their games, or open sources their older games, since the Bethesda buyout.
                  LOL apparently for Doom 2016 the devs even internally had a working Linux build.
                  Imagine that, you make a native Vulkan game, you have it working on Linux, you even sell it on a store (Steam) which gives you the infrastructure to roll it out on Linux... But you cannot release it because of your publisher.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...sy-to-do.11465

Comment

While being a huge fan of most id games, Doom Eternal looks more like Quake III - Demon Bot Match Arena (not real). I like the Doom games from the shareware up to Doom 2016. This game? Was not impressed from its first exposure, still not impressed.

Seems there is some cool stuff in there but dumb stuff as well, at least dumb enough for me to wait for a steam winter sale and buy it for like....oh I don't know... Five to ten bucks maybe?

Like most games, it looks like more of the same. Now, Cyberpunk 2077? Yeah lets see it, but I am not buying it until much of my own observations have deemed it worth trying myself.

It seems the best games are the gems I overlooked years ago having given them a try later, after they became much easier to buy.

Buying a game right after release from my experience is the hugest waste of money these days to the point of absolute ripoff. That's why I update my steam wishlist and from time to time check on it to see if anything is on sale for an alright price.

So is Doom Eternal worth that cheeky, sneaky, and unassumingly small price of 59 bones? Hell NO. Too generic.

Of coarse I could totally be wrong about the game, but all the videos I have seen of it—the colors seem off and so do some of the models, and it does seem to lack that sense of dread and despair that all the other games seemed to have.

Doom minus the dread and despair does not equate with what I consider a quality Doom game.

A good example of an awesome Doom game which was indeed and in fact not a Doom game but a third person shooter that had dark yet classy undead-fiendish appeal, was a real McCoy—shocking, surprising, and surpassing to all that had came before it in the genre. This particular game I am typing about was made by Visceral and to this very date in my opinion nothing has really came close to its unparalleled original design.

Seeing the paper paged expose of this title had me rabid with anticipation as I thumbed through the pages of Game Informer devouring it's contents.

After reading about it in that magazine and absorbing it's assigned page contents, I said to myself, "I must have this, it looks wicked and undone" it was like nothing I had ever seen before.

In fact I would say it was a Doom game that out Doomed Doom. The series sort of canned itself with the third installment but the fact still remains. It was ground breaking and original, plus it spoiled me rotten as far as sci-horror games go.

This awesome game I have been alluding to is the unparalleled Dead Space. I must have beat the original more than ten times, yes its that good. I have it both on PS3 and PC.

We need a new mining suit driven, Necromorph stomping slosh pit.
                    Last edited by creative; 25 March 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X