No announcement yet.

RADV Lands AMD GCN 1.0/1.1 Fix For DOOM Eternal On Linux Under Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different games for different folks I guess. I've been loving Doom Eternal. On my Windows machine of course.

Plays great, lots of fun. Well worth $60.

Comment

Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
      Open AMDVLK is nowhere near Windows performance, the proprietary Vulkan driver is another 25-30% faster on my RX 480.

RADV runs even worse without ACO, and ACO requires a pending MR + some hacks to expose missing features.
      It's hard to tell since I don't have a windows machine.
      But I did find a benchmark of rx 580 running Doom Eternal on the world wide web and numbers looked similar to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

We should note that many people, including some normally smart online reviewers, are very confused by Doom Eternal.

The game is designed to dynamically adjust its graphics quality in real time in order to maintain frame rate at all costs. There are apparently override settings for this. I don't know what they are.
        Probably the "dynamic resolution" setting.
        It needs to be turned off for any benchmarks on many modern games.
        ​​​​​

Comment

Goodness that post took me more time than I wanted, but I really felt I needed to edit to get how I feel about where games have gone in many areas. The gaming industry has kind of been not so great lately. However, I do enjoy playing older titles and Metro Exodus.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
            Different games for different folks I guess. I've been loving Doom Eternal. On my Windows machine of course.

Plays great, lots of fun. Well worth $60.
            Glad you like it, maybe I eventually will but at a later date when on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              LOL apparently for Doom 2016 the devs even internally had a working Linux build.
              They have a working Linux build for this game, too. It's a Stadia title.

Comment

Performance though for GCN 1.0/1.1 with this 2020 high profile game will be challenging on Linux but at least it's a working option now for gamers on these old GPUs.
                That a video card from nine years ago can play a game like this is indeed very impressive, especially since there probably is not much support left anymore from AMD Corporate for GCN 1.0/1.1.

This right here is what I appreciate about open source so much. Someone who owns this card should only be forced to purchase new for two reasons: New software requires it(Doom Eternal may be that item) or the card physically goes bad. These cards new back when were in the $500-$600 dollar range.

Don't deprecate my purchase! Deprecate "forced-obsolescence".

The other good thing is that as RADV gains new use cases, more fixes will be introduced as new bugs are discovered, which will in the end make RADV all the more viable. Also ACO for these older-gen cards.

Comment

Well against me saying I was going to wait, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Powercolor Red Devil 5700xt. Here's to some fun getting to run AMD's GPU stuff. Hopefully all goes well and I don't wrack my brains out too much, this is uncharted territory for me. Will be learning more and more about RADV.

I mean come on GTX 1080 ti performance for around $480 after shipping+taxes (Wanted a quieter and cooler running card so I paid a higher premium, GDDR6 gets hot), performance will likely get better with driver updates, had to jump on it. Relatively reasonable power draw for the card I bought. Performance wise, I find AMD fascinating as the cards seem to end up always performing faster with each support release, I was very surprised at some of the benches for just an RX 580 2-3 years out. I am ready to kick nvidia out of my system.

My GTX 1070 has served me well but it's time for something new, different, and more powerful from AMD.
                  Last edited by creative; 26 March 2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X