Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.1-dev RADV vs. RADV+ACO vs. AMDVLK vs. AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan Radeon Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank god there are so many drivers for you (amd users) to pick one

Comment

Wow, I'm really surprised by the performance of AMDVLK. I do suspect however that it is now generally faster than AMDGPU-PRO because it's the latest version which was released just a few days ago, and the latest AMDGPU-PRO is 3 months old.

Comment

I know, its additional work, but would be nice to have windows as reference sample. Games are developed/ported for windows as main target platform. Right now, we can compare linux drivers, but we don't know what is state of the art for this games.

Comment

Very informative! Also is it just my browser or is the text on the graphs borderline unreadable?

Regarding ACO too I was thinking Valve has so much investment into MESA, into ACO, into the Vulkan initiative, into their Source 2 engine's Linux's and Vulkan support, into Steam Linux etc, porting their entire back catalog to Linux etc.... yet their big game release Half Life Alyx is not launching on Linux... go figure.

Comment

Sorry for resurrecting and old thread, but I just installed an rx5700 and want to make sure I got all the pieces right.

I'm using KDE neon which is an 18.04.4 base. I'm using the stock 5.3 kernel, and upgraded the following options:

1. Mesa 20.1 via kisak ppa

2. Open CL from the amdgpu-pro package (OpenCL headless option)

So far my native Linux games work fine, with one notable exception (Divinity original Sin), and I've got Folding@home chugging along.

My next question comes with respect to a few windows native games I play either via Lutris (DXVK) or Steam Proton. My understanding is that Mesa has a "built in" vulkan driver called RADV and that should work. Also the amdgpu-pro package offers a vulkan driver I can install.

For now would people recommend I leave my install as is, or should I install the vulkan components from amdgpu-pro. I'm not upgrading to a 20.04 based install until July at least, but I can manually upgarde the kernel if need be. I know 5.4 is supposed to be a big improvement.

Comment

Working...
            X