• Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
    Polaris (20)

only 2 remaining issues (for me) are:

>=2 identical monitor (1920x1080, HDMI, here) flickering problem
    (even with amdgpu.dcfeaturemask=2 amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff runpm=1)

to high idle power usage (compared to the other OS) ~32 W, here.

Sapphire Technology Limited Nitro+ Radeon RX 580, 8 GB
    (Maybe firmware issue. - AMD anyone?)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/4
    80/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Nitro+ Radeon RX 570/580/590

600 MHz (PSTATE_SCLK)
    1000 MHz (PSTATE_MCLK)

Both P-states will NOT go lower?!
    Same dual monitor issue, only two different resolutions and one is HDMI and the other is DVI. The problem is ppfeaturemask.

Disable it and dual monitors will work as expected (though dcfeaturemask may still be needed).

If you need to overclock your GPU and use Dual Monitors you have to mod the BIOS of your GPU.

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Polaris (20)

only 2 remaining issues (for me) are:

>=2 identical monitor (1920x1080, HDMI, here) flickering problem
    (even with amdgpu.dcfeaturemask=2 amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff runpm=1)

to high idle power usage (compared to the other OS) ~32 W, here.

Sapphire Technology Limited Nitro+ Radeon RX 580, 8 GB
    (Maybe firmware issue. - AMD anyone?)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/4
    80/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Nitro+ Radeon RX 570/580/590

600 MHz (PSTATE_SCLK)
    1000 MHz (PSTATE_MCLK)

Both P-states will NOT go lower?!
    Last edited by nuetzel; 13 March 2020, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

Polaris and Vega are both incredibly stable. Before my 2600X I had a 3200G with Vega 8 integrated graphics, and then I had an RX 580 which is of course Polaris, and it was amazingly stable. I've heard that it took some time to get there though. I'm really hoping the new hire AMD is going to make for a lead kernel developer for amdgpu will spur some action on Navi's stability.
    Well, my 3200G doesnt't like to standby, it cannot resume my Plasma session. At least after a lot of trouble with the 2200G this is stable now. I do a have a mobile 2500U and this freezes the desktop from time to time. All this happens on updated Arch Linux systems.

But my Radeon VII is stable as hell, it is even almost impossible to find games that can get it down

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

These sort of issues don't appear all that uncommon with AMD GPUs, always makes me a bit hesitant when someone chimes in that using nvidia proprietary drivers are bad(not that they don't have their own issues) and using AMD avoids those problems.

How long does it usually take for the newer generation AMD hardware to be hassle-free on Linux?
    I got my RX5700 back in October and it took my quite some time to get it "somehow" running on an Ubuntu 18.04.x.

I've summed up my frustration over here:
    After several generations of NVidia cards I decided to switch back to - Forum post on GamingOnLinux.com

Kernel 5.3 still works quite well with the GPU, but Kernel 5.4 on my 20.04 test setup is a complete dog. It doesn't crash, but gives me 30fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Using the 5.5 mainline Kernel I'm back to the expected 130fps. And don't expected "hassle-free" OpenCL on Navi. Might never happen.
    The Ryzen 3700X and the X570 chipset OTOH didn't give me any headaches and worked "as expected" OOTB.

Leave a comment:

• gardotd426
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    I think amdgpu is generally quite stable, I don't have any navi hardware, which might be different up to now, but a lot of other hardware and no real worrysome problems.
    Polaris and Vega are both incredibly stable. Before my 2600X I had a 3200G with Vega 8 integrated graphics, and then I had an RX 580 which is of course Polaris, and it was amazingly stable. I've heard that it took some time to get there though. I'm really hoping the new hire AMD is going to make for a lead kernel developer for amdgpu will spur some action on Navi's stability.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    I think amdgpu is generally quite stable, I don't have any navi hardware, which might be different up to now, but a lot of other hardware and no real worrysome problems.

Leave a comment:

• gardotd426
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

These sort of issues don't appear all that uncommon with AMD GPUs, always makes me a bit hesitant when someone chimes in that using nvidia proprietary drivers are bad(not that they don't have their own issues) and using AMD avoids those problems.

How long does it usually take for the newer generation AMD hardware to be hassle-free on Linux?
    Polaris was extremely stable, I never had any GPU crashes with my RX 580 except when trying to set up an overclock when that's to be expected.

Leave a comment:

• gardotd426
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Crashes are normal to some extent. If not doing something very specific (e.g. ffmpeg VAAPI HEVC encoding etc.), the Linux Polaris drivers where extremely stable in my experience. I'd suppose that Navi is not so much different anymore, but I'm open to change my opinion if their are corresponding reports. Of course also specific issues can be unbearable if unlucky.
    I don't know why anyone would use Linux with Nvidia if it's not about some specific CUDA working environment etc. Their Windows driver works much better, I'm actually really content with it again.

This isn't normal crashing. It's every day, or multiple times a day, for anyone who experiences it, and it's the same bug. There were also a ton of reports at the original page too, but it got migrated to the link I posted above.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Crashes are normal to some extent. If not doing something very specific (e.g. ffmpeg VAAPI HEVC encoding etc.), the Linux Polaris drivers where extremely stable in my experience. I'd suppose that Navi is not so much different anymore, but I'm open to change my opinion if their are corresponding reports. Of course also specific issues can be unbearable if unlucky.
    I don't know why anyone would use Linux with Nvidia if it's not about some specific CUDA working environment etc. Their Windows driver works much better, I'm actually really content with it again.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
    I really hope this fixes the Navi hard lockup bug. Doubtful thougb

Leave a comment:

Working...
X