No announcement yet.

Basic xorg.conf file for dual monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic xorg.conf file for dual monitors?

I have got a hd3300 and managed to load the radeonhd driver. I want to run dual monitors 1280x1024 and 1920x1200. I was able to set it up nicely with the fglrx binary driver using the built in tools ?aticonfig?. I wanted to try out the claimed better 2d performance (and perhaps fewer crashes) of radeonhd driver, but haven't really figured out what I need in the xorg.conf file. If anyone has a similar (different resolution) dual monitor setup and would share there functional xorg.conf file I would appreciate it. The xrandr tools built into my ubuntu 8.10 didn't seem to successfully setup dual monitors, and it doesn't seem to store info in xorg.conf.

Anyway I'd love any info and or links to good sources for this type of thing.

Thank You,
    Josh

Have you played with the xrandr command line tool at all ?

If not, maybe start with "xrandr --help" and "xrandr -q"

Using the randr tools does not automatically update your xorg.conf file AFAIK; I think you'll still need to do that manually.

First step is usually getting a "Virtual" command in the Display section of your xorg.conf so you can have enough "screen space" for the two monitors. I think something like "Virtual 3328 1200" should work (3200 1200 might work but I'm not 100% sure about that)

Here are a couple of useful links :

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
    Test signature

Comment

Thank you, I think this is exactly what I needed; not sure how my google searching didn't turn these up; guess I wasn't looking for the right stuff!

-Josh

Comment

There's just too much stuff on the internet these days
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X