No announcement yet.

Running The Linux 5.6 Kernel With AMD Radeon Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting benchmarks between 5600 and 5700 regardless of the kernel version. 5600 XT is really not that far behind compared to 5700 XT in terms of frame rates. I could see myself going with 5600XT due to less power draw than a 5700 XT, although I won't be playing high-demanding games until the next line of GPUs come out that draw about 150W with ray tracing. Portal 2 and The Talos Principle is more of my style of puzzle games. Well, if there are any puzzle games with visuals that compare to The Talos Principle, that would be cool to play at 4K.

I currently have a GTX 960 and want to get away from NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

And as an off-topic note, I love Star Trek: The Next Generation. Each TV show has its own strengths and weakness, but to me, I found the crew members of TNG to be more mature than Voyager and DS9. I mean, the crew members fit together very well along with the ship. Enterprise USS 1701-D and crew members matched them perfectly together. I can't say the same for DS9 and Voyager, as the crew members aren't my type compared to The Next Generation. In my opinion, the atmosphere of the ship is so much better compared to Voyager and DS9.

And anyone interested in the tour of Enterprise D?
    I take no credit in this project, just increasing awareness.Find information about this video here at *edit, website no longer exists**update* the project ma...

Okay, enough off-topic chatter for now.
    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 25 February 2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Sorry for going off-topic here. People here are talking about DS9 and my post got flagged for talking about Star Trek: The Next Generation.

(Sigh) No wonder why we went too far off-topic. I'm still a legitimate user, though. I'm not trying to spam. The forum approved of my previous post, I edited my post because I went too far off-topic and my post got unapproved by the forum software.

Comment

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
        haha voyager was a bit bumpy first couple of seasons (with really good ones like "S02E13 Prototype" and "S02E23 The Thaw") And we don't speak about "S02E15 Threshold" but even cringy episodes like the dinosaurs evacuating earth and becoming this super advanced race in the Delta quadrant becomes an intelligent and powerful episode on Religion conflicting with Science. Molto bene...sublime to watch.
        How about Discovery? Or the other new series?

Comment

Something about Discovery rubs me the wrong way, although I guess I should watch it start to finish before criticizing. Too many of the characters seemed to be there just to look alien without exploring any of their alien-ness. Anton Chekhov (not Pavel Andreievich) would have had a fit.

So another vote for Enterprise followed by TNG, and this is from someone who used to run home from school to watch TOS episodes on TV for the first time. It would probably be fair to accuse me of preferring shows that are most like TOS, although I don't think about it that way.

By the way when we talk about off-topic, is "the real topic" the initial post, Voyager, or Star Trek in general ?
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 February 2020, 10:25 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

DS9 > TNG > Voyager > Enterprise > Discovery (only S1 so far) > TOS for me.

I really enjoyed enterprise even though it's only 4th on my list, it just didn't have characters that I found quite as interesting as the top 3 shows did.

TOS really hasn't aged well in my opinion, but I'd probably feel differently about it if I grew up when it was new.

And Disco just felt wrong to me for the first season, but maybe that's unfair to the show considering how many other trek shows kind of stunk their first seasons.

Comment

Personally I'm waiting for a fix for the issue attached before I update beyond 5.4, hopefully in an upcoming 5.5 point release so it doesn't take too long.

I enjoyed TNG and Voyager equally for different reasons. DS9 started to bore me after a while and I could never get into Enterprise, but maybe I need to give it another go beyond the first few episodes.

Comment

Will multi-monitor work?
                Because I had to disable AMDGPU.DC ever since it was first introduced with kernel 4.17. Last I tried, on kernel 5.4, the issue was still there. I'm using an old R9 285, so maybe you don't have this issue on the newer cards.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Something about Discovery rubs me the wrong way, although I guess I should watch it start to finish before criticizing. Too many of the characters seemed to be there just to look alien without exploring any of their alien-ness. Anton Chekhov (not Pavel Andreievich) would have had a fit.

So another vote for Enterprise followed by TNG, and this is from someone who used to run home from school to watch TOS episodes on TV for the first time. It would probably be fair to accuse me of preferring shows that are most like TOS, although I don't think about it that way.

By the way when we talk about off-topic, is "the real topic" the initial post, Voyager, or Star Trek in general ?
                  Well, the initial post is "Make the text in the graphs larger". All the Sci-Fi stems from an offhand comment I made and I did not mean to derail this thread at all.

I booted up my system with kernel 5.6, never even made it as far as games because Netflix didn't work and I happened to mention DS9 was my current bedtime story show as my reason for not sticking around on a 5.6 system...and it is like my 4th time watching DS9 it start to finish...Avery Brooks is one hell of an actor.

I agree with what's essentially the token alien comment about Discovery. It does pick up in the 2nd season and becomes a better show. Also, the first season is better the 2nd time through when you know the spoilers...just like Battlestar Galactica.

I'm glad I'm a fan of DS9 and Voyager -- Star Trek Picard seems to be using a lot of references from those. I have to ask this -- how many of y'all have CBS All Access and still download Star Trek Picard from the usual sources? I can't hear a damn thing on the CBS stream on my Roku TV but I can hear a scene rip clear as a bell. Is the audio that bad for everyone else too?

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
                  Never got into BSG, it's on my list, I preferred Stargate (the ending to Atlantis still haunts me for how lazy it was)...and then The Ark of Truth's lazy as hell plot to explain away the Ori... man, I miss the good old days of SG1, that was some stellar scifi.

You guys been watching The Expanse, I hope? That's absolutely fantastic stuff
                  Take this from someone with all the SG1 and Atlantis Box Sets and Movies -- Watch Battlestar Galactica. It is one of the best shows of all time and one of the very few, like The Expanse, that even attempts to do 0g correctly. I'm talking about the remake, but the older ones aren't bad for 80s tv.

And of course I've been watching The Expanse. Twice already. It's the result of Stargate, BSG, Firefly, and Cowboy Bebop going to an orgy.

I know all of y'all have been watching The Orville. Right? Y'all better be. It's great TV. Eagerly awaiting season 3.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 26 February 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Seems no one remembers Babylon 5 ? Pity...

Comment

Originally posted by DL9220 View Post
                      Seems no one remembers Babylon 5 ? Pity...
                      I haven't watched it yet. Been meaning to...but I keep forgetting it even exists...

Just checked and it's on Prime so I'll make a mental note to watch it when I finish my current evening binge of DS9.

Hopefully I'll remember it this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X