Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get XV, DRI working on HD 3300 (rv620) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
    The drm_pciids.txt file has the Mobility HD3400 lines in the wrong order in the file, so the cards are not recognized. Moving them to the proper location makes them work:

Note: I haven't gotten any further than loading drm.ko and radeon.ko yet, dunno if the radeonhd driver will actually work for me. I just finally see the drm init in dmesg now.
    The order doesn't matter. The drm doesn't actually get initialized until X loads.

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
      With todays drm source swichting between X and VT no longer poses a problem! Finally got radeonhd & XV working flawlessly - JAY Thanks to all for your help!
      Yeah, finally it works now. But I've still some kind of screen corruption. For example, there is something like a horizontal dash on top of the cursor. It isn't visible on the screenshots cause no cursor is shown there. Will try if I can take a screenshot, where this is visible.

Comment

Does the corruption leave "trails" or is it only visible in the cursor's current location ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
          Yeah, finally it works now. But I've still some kind of screen corruption. For example, there is something like a horizontal dash on top of the cursor. It isn't visible on the screenshots cause no cursor is shown there. Will try if I can take a screenshot, where this is visible.
          With more then one tab in konqueror it is visible too:

You can see it in the tab-bar.

Oh, its much more worse:

Last edited by PuckPoltergeist; 20 February 2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Make sure you're using the latest drm bits as well.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The order doesn't matter. The drm doesn't actually get initialized until X loads.
              OK, my mistake. I had another older drm.ko/radeon.ko in /lib/modules/xx/updates so the ones I had just built and copies into xx/kernel/driver/gpu weren't actually loading.

I confirmed by reading the drm_init() code that order doesn't matter, and insmod'ing the freshly built files worked fine.

As a footnote, the radeon.ko module logs an init message displaying its version # when it's loaded/probed successfully, before the X server starts. I wasn't even seeing that before, with the old module. But it mostly seems to be working now.

In /var/log/Xorg.log I see a message that AIGLX couldn't init with DRI because of some other missing shared library. I guess there's more I need to rebuild on my Ubuntu 8.10 system. But now Xv is working, and mplayer is using a lot less CPU than before, which is all I really cared about.

Code:
              (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
              (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
              (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
                In /var/log/Xorg.log I see a message that AIGLX couldn't init with DRI because of some other missing shared library. I guess there's more I need to rebuild on my Ubuntu 8.10 system. But now Xv is working, and mplayer is using a lot less CPU than before, which is all I really cared about.

Code:
                (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
                (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
                (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
                You can ignore that. There is no 3D driver yet for r6xx/r7xx.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Make sure you're using the latest drm bits as well.
                  I have done a git pull just before building the source, drm as well as radeonhd.

Comment

With newest git-source I get following error when stopping the X-Server, e.g. rebooting the machine:
                    Code:
                    [drm] wait idle failed status: 0xA0003030 0x00000003
                    Which gets repeated very often during the whole shutdown-process.

Comment

For those having trouble getting the latest drm to work, make sure you're configuring/autogen.sh with --prefix=/usr

I found this guide helpful for building drm, though it's a bit outdated: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhdRI

Comment

Working...
                      X