Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get XV, DRI working on HD 3300 (rv620) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    I've added the id to drm git.
    Thanks bridgman & agd5f! The drm module gets loaded now - awesome dudes!

But now I got another problem After X has started with DRI enabled & radeonhd, switching to terminal via CTRL-F1 and switching back to X crashes the machine completely. It turns the screen to black, though it gets some kind of signal (the monitor LED shows it's still active). The only way to get out is a soft reset.

Here's my xorg.0.log:

Out of curiosity I tried using the new drm module in connection with the xf86-video-ati-6.10.0. According to the log the drm module gets utilized too, but at some point there's an error and the xf86-video-ati-6.10.0 doesn't get to X using drm.

Here's the xorg.log with xf86-video-ati-6.10.0:

The dmesg output with the ati driver is:
    Code:
    [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613 on minor 0
    [drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
    [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
    [drm] GART aligned down from 0x00010000 to 0x00000000
    [drm] Num pipes: 2
    [drm] writeback test failed
    BTW I only compiled the kernel modules from the drm-git sources. Is it necessary to use the libdrm-git too? ATM I am using libdrm-2.3.1

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
      Out of curiosity I tried using the new drm module in connection with the xf86-video-ati-6.10.0. According to the log the drm module gets utilized too, but at some point there's an error and the xf86-video-ati-6.10.0 doesn't get to X using drm.

Here's the xorg.log with xf86-video-ati-6.10.0:
      http://pastebin.ch/970
      This is expected, RADEONAccelInit fails for anything >= R600; IOW ATM only radeonhd supports acceleration with R600 and newer.

Comment

Todays git :

EXA corruption is still there. (But not as bad )
        The font corruption seems to be replaced with wrong letters
        Switching consoles ended with black screen and killed keyboard. (Init 0 via acpid power button worked ..)

EDIT: My mistake - XV won't work with "XAA" as agd5f correctly pointed out.
        (I just wonder why it is faster than "none" and video tearing isn't there as with "shadowfb" ?)
        Last edited by PWMx; 04 February 2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

There is no XAA support. If you specify XAA you're probably falling back to shadowfb.

Comment

Alex just pushed fixes for all the known corruption issues, and also some performance optimizations for scrolling and dragging. For anyone running 6xx/7xx open source drivers this is a good time to update your drm and radeonhd drivers.
            Test signature

Comment

Looks like one of the performance optimizations introduced some *different* corruption so agd5f has reverted that one change. Anyone who picked up source in the last few minutes should pull the latest.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Looks like one of the performance optimizations introduced some *different* corruption so agd5f has reverted that one change. Anyone who picked up source in the last few minutes should pull the latest.
                Gna, so I was a little bit to fast.

You're speaking about corruption like this?

(after scrolling in konqueror)

Comment

Probably. Alex tried a few different cards and hasn't been able to see corruption on any of them. That's not unusual though...
                  Test signature

Comment

I bet some compiz users would have liked the smearing effect

Ok with latest git looks like all corruption and hangs are gone, Xv is working and scrolling performance in Firefox looks acceptable but improvement is welcome.

Comment

Probably. Alex tried a few different cards and hasn't been able to see corruption on any of them. That's not unusual though...
                      If I can help debugging this, let me know. The logs didn't show anything so far.

edit: Still does not survive switching back from console to X. The switch from X to console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) works, but when switching back to X I only get a black screen.
                      Last edited by PuckPoltergeist; 05 February 2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X