Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.6 Flipping On GPU Reset Support For AMD Renoir + Radeon Navi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.6 Flipping On GPU Reset Support For AMD Renoir + Radeon Navi

    Phoronix: Linux 5.6 Flipping On GPU Reset Support For AMD Renoir + Radeon Navi

    Last week the main set of kernel graphics driver improvements were merged while today is an interesting secondary batch of changes for the in-development Linux 5.6 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Navi-GPU-Reset

  • #2
    Can a dev clarify? Does this mean that Navi cards can now be hotswap removed? or will it take down the console if I try to unplug my thunderbolt connected GPU?

    Comment


    • #3
      As far as I can tell, this is a party of gnifs work on pcie FLR (function level reset) allowing re-initialization of the gpu after boot. The main targeted use is recovering the GPU after a driver or VM crash.

      Comment


      • #4
        A GPU with a reasonably stable driver would not require any such feature (which isn't really going to save the OS from crashing when the GPU driver crashes, anyway).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          Can a dev clarify? Does this mean that Navi cards can now be hotswap removed? or will it take down the console if I try to unplug my thunderbolt connected GPU?
          Yeah, what about detaching eGPUs? Is AMD going to implement this?

          Comment


          • #6
            It is surprising to see GPU reset support is finally happening for Navi. I would have thought that was already implemented.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by castlefox View Post
              It is surprising to see GPU reset support is finally happening for Navi. I would have thought that was already implemented.
              It was already implemented (the driver uses reset for a variety of things internally), it was just not enabled by default for GPU hangs until now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post

                It was already implemented (the driver uses reset for a variety of things internally), it was just not enabled by default for GPU hangs until now.
                It was implemented for the official driver and/or the open source driver?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by castlefox View Post

                  It was implemented for the official driver and/or the open source driver?
                  Same driver.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X