Linux 5.6 Flipping On GPU Reset Support For AMD Renoir + Radeon Navi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6 Flipping On GPU Reset Support For AMD Renoir + Radeon Navi

Phoronix: Linux 5.6 Flipping On GPU Reset Support For AMD Renoir + Radeon Navi

Last week the main set of kernel graphics driver improvements were merged while today is an interesting secondary batch of changes for the in-development Linux 5.6 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Navi-GPU-Reset

Can a dev clarify? Does this mean that Navi cards can now be hotswap removed? or will it take down the console if I try to unplug my thunderbolt connected GPU?

Comment

As far as I can tell, this is a party of gnifs work on pcie FLR (function level reset) allowing re-initialization of the gpu after boot. The main targeted use is recovering the GPU after a driver or VM crash.

Comment

A GPU with a reasonably stable driver would not require any such feature (which isn't really going to save the OS from crashing when the GPU driver crashes, anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
          Can a dev clarify? Does this mean that Navi cards can now be hotswap removed? or will it take down the console if I try to unplug my thunderbolt connected GPU?
          Yeah, what about detaching eGPUs? Is AMD going to implement this?

Comment

It is surprising to see GPU reset support is finally happening for Navi. I would have thought that was already implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
              It is surprising to see GPU reset support is finally happening for Navi. I would have thought that was already implemented.
              It was already implemented (the driver uses reset for a variety of things internally), it was just not enabled by default for GPU hangs until now.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

It was already implemented (the driver uses reset for a variety of things internally), it was just not enabled by default for GPU hangs until now.
                It was implemented for the official driver and/or the open source driver?

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

It was implemented for the official driver and/or the open source driver?
                  Same driver.

Comment

Working...
                  X