Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Graphics Driver To Better Handle Power Savings During Compute Workloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux Graphics Driver To Better Handle Power Savings During Compute Workloads

Phoronix: AMD Linux Graphics Driver To Better Handle Power Savings During Compute Workloads

Over the past week have been two patch series in working to enable BACO (Bus Active, Chip Off) support and in turn power management capabilities when using AMDKFD (Kernel Fusion Driver) for compute workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still hoping someday they manage to have multi monitors without clocking the vram to the highest level. On my 5700xt that yields rising temperatures until it hits 60°, then the fans kick in for 10 sec until it's down to 50. Not that the Red Devil is too loud, but the knowledge about this alone is kinda annoying ^^

Comment

BACO (Bus Active, Chip Off)
      vhat about
      CABO (Chip Active, Bus Off)
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Note: It is impossible to have dynamic memory clock selection enabled (on RX 570 and previous GPU's) when having multiple monitors connected because it causes screen flickering (with amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff). So, the only option is to select either 300 MHz clock or the 1750 MHz clock on RX 570, but if 300 MHz is selected the video player might start skipping frames when playing high-resolution videos.
        yeah, if i understand correctly that has something to do with synchronizing the switching with the refresh - but i'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to judge wheather that is hard to implement or not ^^

Comment

Don't get your hopes up, they screwed up single display 1440p 75Hz VRAM downclocking with Navi even on Windows.
          Last edited by aufkrawall; 03 February 2020, 07:25 AM. Reason: questionable idiom

Comment

Note: It is impossible to have dynamic memory clock selection enabled (on RX 570 and previous GPU's) when having multiple monitors connected because it causes screen flickering (with amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff). So, the only option is to select either 300 MHz clock or the 1750 MHz clock on RX 570, but if 300 MHz is selected the video player might start skipping frames when playing high-resolution videos.
            Dammit if that doesn't explain my situation yesterday. Took an old 1440x900 20" monitor and plugged it into my RX 580 and my displays went wonky with green lines, refresh rate issues, and KWin's compositor would crash. Running either alone and it was just fine.

That's when I ran Manjaro's 19.0 Gnome testing and it worked perfectly, ditto with their 19.0 XFCE and Plasma ISOs and that left me thinking that maybe it was related to Linux 5.4 since those ISOs run 5.5. If it's because of ppfeaturemask, and I'm disabling it and rebooting to check after posting, I'm gonna be kind of pissed because I use ppfeaturemask to undervolt my GPU to counter it running hot and thermal throttling.

EDIT: Yep, disabiling ppfeaturemask fixed it. Well fsck me running. That's not a compromise I'm willing to accept. My MSI GPU runs too damn hot under gaming loads without ppfeaturemask and undervolting it.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 03 February 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Did you try amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff to just unlock overdrive?

Comment

I have a negative experience with undervolting, if the GPU is overclocked at the same time, causing weird triangles and invalid colors to be rendered on screen in Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example.
                My only "overclock" is my GPU came with 1750 memory timings and, according to this chart I saw, damn near all the other ones came with 2000. I modded my bios to fix that...on LInux with Wine...some days I'm retarded

The only thing I do via ppfeaturemask is to lower my voltages.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Did you try amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff to just unlock overdrive?
                  I used to use that...but, and don't ask why, on my current Manjaro install that didn't work and WattmanGTK suggested all f's where it'd normally have the d7 one.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I used to use that...but, and don't ask why, on my current Manjaro install that didn't work and WattmanGTK suggested all f's where it'd normally have the d7 one.
                    Overdrive definitely works with that flag when setting it manually via sysfs.

Comment

Working...
                    X