Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 5600 XT With New vBIOS Offering Better Linux Performance Following Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one get a hold of the updated SMC? build mesa from developer tree?

Comment

You can grab the new smu ucode here:

It will be upstreamed to linux-firmware once it's completed our internal QA cycle. You can run the 19.50 packages or upstream code on the RX 5600 boards. If they have the old vbios, they will work fine. If they have the new vbios you can still use them with the old smc ucode, you'll just get slower performance.

Comment

Thank you, however I cant download it.
        It seems that the permission on the folder/file is off

Comment

Fixed.

Comment

Why on earth are the memory clocks so low on Linux with these cards? Memory clock is 1750MHz on Windows for the Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT, but only 875 on Linux.

Comment

Hello

Thanks for the new firmware its finally allowed me to flash my PowerColor Red Devil RX5600 XT.

The clocks went from a boost clock of 1650Mhz to 1780Mhz, and memory clock of 1500Mhz to 1750Mhz.

However when its running the desktop its running at 800Mhz (according to radeontop) it never throttles in games (Witcher 3/Wine) its constantly at its boost clock and after about 10 mins and temps are in the high 80s and it green screens. Shouldn't it reach a temperature and throttle back to standard clocks at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSheridan View Post
                I'm looking for information on how to make the 5600 card work on Linux.
                The latest driver pack released by AMD is version 19.50 which adds support for RX 5500. The kernel would also require some modifications.
                At moment, running more than a basic console on this card should be simply impossible.
                How can you not only run X but even test games..???
                Infos on how to make those games run on Linux would also be appreciated...
                Thanks for your answer!
                What are you talking about? Support for the 5600 XT was added to the kernel before the cards even came out. I had literal day one support. I can't speak for debian, but if you're buying bleeding-edge hardware, Debian is an objectively bad choice in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  The next packaged driver release including 5600XT support should be available in a week or so.

In the meantime, as long as your board does not have the updated VBIOS (which is likely but not definite) then any distro with good Navi10 support should work IIRC.

Which distro/version are you running ?
                  It works with the new vBIOS too. Mine worked on day one. I don't know why Michael had all those performance issues, I had no performance issues at all, just a couple weird rendering issues with certain games but that's a mesa or dxvk issue not a firmware one.

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
                    It works with the new vBIOS too. Mine worked on day one. I don't know why Michael had all those performance issues, I had no performance issues at all, just a couple weird rendering issues with certain games but that's a mesa or dxvk issue not a firmware one.
                    AFAICS different vendors bumped the clocks by different amounts; some of the higher clocks were not supported by the previous firmware rev and so it kicked into a "safe" mode with lower clocks.

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
                    Why on earth are the memory clocks so low on Linux with these cards? Memory clock is 1750MHz on Windows for the Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT, but only 875 on Linux.
                    I thought the memory clock dropped even lower with a flashed Pulse and previous firmware; have you picked up the new firmware yet ? If not it would be worth giving it a try.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 31 January 2020, 01:18 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAICS different vendors bumped the clocks by different amounts; some of the higher clocks were not supported by the previous firmware rev and so it kicked into a "safe" mode with lower clocks.

I thought the memory clock dropped even lower with a flashed Pulse and previous firmware; have you picked up the new firmware yet ? If not it would be worth giving it a try.
                      I have the new firmware. Max memory is 900. And even on the benchmarks here you can see that the Memory clock is only 750. Also, regarding your first statement, the different clocks by different vendors and it not being supported by the previous firmware rev kicking it into a safe mode isn't the case. Me and Michael have the exact same card. The 6GB Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT. So I have no idea why he was getting such poor performance with the new vBIOS without the new firmware. I have literally no difference between the new and old firmware, and the performance of the new and old vBIOS is pretty much the same, because I was always able to overclock the card in Linux up to the power limit (160W) and clock speeds that the new vBIOS used. Granted, the new vBIOS sets the overclock limit a bit higher, but I was always able to go to 1750 on the core, even with the old vBIOS. Also granted, though, that Michael didn't set the ppfeaturemask parameter or try overclocking the card, so it might have been a situation where the card didn't reach it's potential with the new firmware which I wouldn't know because radeon-profile can force the card to use the high dpm performance level. But it really seems like an Ubuntu issue, because on Arch and Manjaro the performance was great day one (again, other than a couple of rendering bugs which are mesa issues not firmware ones)

Comment

Working...
                      X