Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 5600 XT With New vBIOS Offering Better Linux Performance Following Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
    What are you talking about? Support for the 5600 XT was added to the kernel before the cards even came out. I had literal day one support. I can't speak for debian, but if you're buying bleeding-edge hardware, Debian is an objectively bad choice in the first place.
    What distro and kernel are you using?

Comment

I have the new firmware. Max memory is 900. And even on the benchmarks here you can see that the Memory clock is only 750. Also, regarding your first statement, the different clocks by different vendors and it not being supported by the previous firmware rev kicking it into a safe mode isn't the case.
      Those numbers (eg 750 MHz) sound like what our FW engineers were talking about for both Linux and Windows (and others)... maybe there's a 2x multiplier in the reporting for Windows, will check. My recollection was that reference gave 750 MHz reported while the new VBIOS gave something like 875.

Me and Michael have the exact same card. The 6GB Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT. So I have no idea why he was getting such poor performance with the new vBIOS without the new firmware.
      If you go outside the firmware's limits the clock defaults to 300 MHz. That matches the performance Michael was seeing.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Those numbers (eg 750 MHz) sound like what our FW engineers were talking about for both Linux and Windows (and others)... maybe there's a 2x multiplier in the reporting for Windows, will check. My recollection was that reference gave 750 MHz reported while the new VBIOS gave something like 875.

If you go outside the firmware's limits the clock defaults to 300 MHz. That matches the performance Michael was seeing.

Okay that 300MHz thing is super interesting. I've been trying to test out this navi overclocking utility called powerupp that leverages upp and if I tried to set it to ANYTHING above the stock 1780MHz for this card, all clock states would get forced to 300MHz. I have the new firmware and new vBIOS, but what I don't understand is why it would do that if I don't got above the firmware limit of 1820MHz. Cause the stock frequency is 1780, but pp_od_clk_voltage and pp_table shows the available clock RANGE to go up to 1820, so I should theoretically be able to set the clocks to anything up to 1820 before it defaults to 300MHz. But instead, it's defaulting to 300 if I set it to 1781 even. Which further doesn't make sense because I CAN set it to anything up to 1820 with radeon-profile and it doesn't go to 300, it goes to the correct frequency. Here is a link to the github issue page if you need more info https://github.com/azeam/powerupp/issues/1

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
          new navi10_smc firmware just went up.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...git/log/amdgpu
          It has absolutely no effect in Manjaro. Card still forced to 300MHz no matter what.

Comment

Working...
          X