Performance games with AMD R9 280x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

- increased use of Vulkan as the only game option on Linux -vs- CPU encode/decode being sufficient (this one seems potentially more likely)
    Thank you for this clarification. Well personally I don't need UVD as my CPU can decode mostly everything ,it may not be very efficient but it works . And for media center pcs(if that's still a thing) people most likely don't need Vulkan anyways.

RADV for SI sounds great , but I doubt that the work will be done for just GCN1.0 cards...
    ​​​​​​I guess eventually I have to buy a new card when i have the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenpfand81 View Post
      Unfortunately is can't find a proper replacement for my 7950 . I don't even care if Nvidia or AMD bit they are either too expensive or too slow for the price ....
      Hmm, the newly released AMD RX 5600 XT seems to offer 2.75x the performance vs the 7950, draw half the power and costs $279 ($240 price in 2012 when adjusted for inflation). It's a pretty good deal if you ask me. Of course Vega 64 is a really good deal right now as well, performance wise.

If you are looking at real long-term options, I'd wait for the RDNA 2.0 lineup (RX 6xxx series?) though. Nvidia lineup right now will not be able to stick around in the future due to the RTX technology being a dead end (Raytracing will happen with the PS5 and latest XBox, and those will use the AMD implementation). Thus the 30xx series are not viable long term, but the 40xx series might.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

Hmm, the newly released AMD RX 5600 XT seems to offer 2.75x the performance vs the 7950, draw half the power and costs $279

​​​​​​
        ​​​​Wrong thread , but thanks for the answer ...
        Well I paid 150€ for my 7950 (-used-)back then and that's sadly about my current budget too. So the 5600xt alltough an interesting card is a bid too expensive for me ,it's simply not available used right now.
        The Vega 56 is nice and available for a good price (used) but draws even more power(-afaik-) then my OC'ed 7950 which could be too much for my power supply.
        ​​​​​​
        ​​​​​​And well current gen consoles are also AMD powered but still Nvidia is leading (- in the high end and upper midrange at least-) so I doubt RTX is a dead end , but you are right nevertheless
        l should wait for RDNA2 and buy an RDNA1 5600xt then I guess that's the most sane tactic.

Last edited by Dosenpfand81; 29 January 2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenpfand81 View Post

​​​​​​
          ​​​​Wrong thread , but thanks for the answer ...
          Well I paid 150€ for my 7950 (-used-)back then and that's sadly about my current budget too. So the 5600xt alltough an interesting card is a bid too expensive for me ,it's simply not available used right now.
          The Vega 56 is nice and available for a good price (used) but draws even more power(-afaik-) then my OC'ed 7950 which could be too much for my power supply.
          ​​​​​​
          ​​​​​​And well current gen consoles are also AMD powered but still Nvidia is leading (- in the high end and upper midrange at least-) so I doubt RTX is a dead end , but you are right nevertheless
          l should wait for RDNA2 and buy an RDNA1 5600xt then I guess that's the most sane tactic.
          If $150 is all you can afford right now, and you really need to upgrade soon, and you want Linux support first and foremost, then an RX 5500 XT 4GB for $149 might be up your alley. It's pretty much 2x the performance, so not ideal, true, but no power troubles and better performance than the competition at that price point. That is an interim card though; the RX 570 might be cheaper and have the wattage you seek, too.

Long term, RDNA 2.0 is like 6-12 months away. If you can manage with what you got until then, save your money and wait for it. You might even get lucky with a used RX 5700 XT, you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

IRX 5700 XT, you never know.
            The RX570 is really dirt cheap (used) , right now,you are right . I guess they are all dissolving there mining rigs .
            And thanks for your recommendations the 5500xt looks really good . But i'am not that much of a core gamer that I need to upgrade right now and I guess it would be sane to upgrade to a whole new architecture like RDNA , so I guess I wait until I can get a 5600xt used and "cheap". Thanks

Comment

Besides , the 7950 is still kinda ok for gaming OC'ed at least (I can bring the chip clock from 750mhz to 1GHz stable , which translates almost 1:1 into performance ) but unfortunately it's impossible to oc this card under Linux , which simply sucks ....

Comment

Perfectly fine to stick with what you have, at the end of the day it's your system and your needs. Just wanted to throw in a few suggestions you may find interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kentosama View Post
                  Some games like The Witcher 2 or Dirt Rally use the GPU at 100%, but the performance is not good. Performance with Proton games is also worse than under Windows. A game like Dead or Alive 5 always worked at 60fps and more, but with Proton I have drops at ~ 40 fps.

Are there people with an R9 280X or similar card who could share in-game performance?
                  You are playing games not natively but over patched Wine - I'd definitely expect reduced performance, unless it's a case of ancient games capable of running on potato.

280x ain't that powerful card to begin with, I'd kinda dare playing over emulation only when card is way more powerful than needed for any given game, which would compensate the loss of performance on foreign platform (foreign for game)..

Comment

I'd avoid 5x00 series for a few years. Even tons and tons of WINDOWS users are having bad driver issues (random black screens for example), trying it on Linux'd be most likely quite masohistic experience. Get RX590, preferably from Sapphire. Or some Nvidia
                    Last edited by aht0; 11 February 2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

You are playing games not natively but over patched Wine - I'd definitely expect reduced performance, unless it's a case of ancient games capable of running on potato.

280x ain't that powerful card to begin with, I'd kinda dare playing over emulation only when card is way more powerful than needed for any given game, which would compensate the loss of performance on foreign platform (foreign for game)..
                      In fact, the performance loss is normal in this case, because the game loads shaders. The game therefore has slowdowns during the first fights, then the framerate is stable at ~ 60fps. You can see that on this video :

I have tried several games with Proton and overall I find it works quite well unlike native games. I'm very disappointed with the performances.

However, it seems that the driver quality does not allow games to be as fluid under Windows 10. It's a shame, because I mainly use Linux as an development environment. It should be said that much more pleasant to develop under Linux than under Windows. Unfortunately, it is impossible to take advantage of the few native Linux games on my 150 Steam games.

I don't want to change my graphics card, because I don't play a lot and I prefer to play with my old consoles (Mega Drive, PC Engine, SEGA Saturn, Dreamcast ...). However, I would still like to enjoy my Steam games and I think the best solution in my case will be to use a second hard drive with Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X