Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 4000 Mobile Series "Renoir" Graphics No Longer Experimental With Linux 5.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RamaSpaceShip View Post
    Picasso is not experimental since a while and it has still issues every day. With my Ryzen 3400G, I still have many errors at every boot and during usage, most look like:
    WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 174 at drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/../display/dc/core/dc_link.c:1894 write_i2c_default_retimer_setting+0x74/0x340
    Maybe this is motherboard specific? I never encountered such problems with my Ryzen 3200G... (debian testing/unstable and ASUS B450M-A)

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
      Zen 2 second failure. One when they block the gaming overclock to 200MHz and now this - the same iGpu with previous generations. This will end up one failure to another, wait and see. It seems that the time when Amd was listening to people have come to an end -again-.
      Nonsense! The GPU in Renoir is massively overhauled and will deliver leading performance in APU like chips. What you are pooping on is in fact fine engineering.

Comment

this is also true! However if one is able to tolerate the bleeding edge you will get the best life out of your hardware.

as for Linux on Mobile Ryzen I’ve been running Redhat Rawhide for the last few days to get a jump on Fedora 32. I probably jumped in a few days too early however I’m seeing the best performance out of my HP Envy that I’ve seen in awhile. That is with the latest kernel. Being RAwhide it of course has all sorts of issues so we shall see how robust everything is.

running beta quality software is t for everybody but you can actually see the performance increases and the stability issues smooth out. That isn’t just for the GPU either.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        This topic deserves so much more attention than I can give it right now. But I have to say that it's not usually a good idea to be an early adopter on Linux. regardless of whether we're talking GPU's or whatever else. it's the best idea to choose hardware that is already stable and is already in good shape at the time of your purchase. AMD doesn't have a fantastic record of getting newly released hardware perfectly stable on any OS. Although the windows drivers have tons of cool graphical configuration tools and more enthusiast level features, they aren't always stable either. But it's especially so on Linux because it's a second class OS that AMD has less resources devoted to. The point is just buy hardware that is already known to have stable drivers and your user experience on Linux will be much better.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
          the same iGpu with previous generations. This will end up one failure to another, wait and see.
          AMD's APUs are always a generation behind their desktop cards.

They have a pretty terrible track record with linux support of their APUs, so we'll have to wait and see how this one goes. But I don't think the gpu tech is particularly going to be a problem. Performance from what has been shared seems like it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex
            Is this the new 7nm AMD mobile CPU/APU (Asus notebooks, for example)? Does this mean we can't use 5.4.x LTS kernel on them? What the fuck? Either that mitigations crap or AMD without drivers. Fuck them all.
            Get used, this is Linux! On serious note, you can use AMD's pro driver, It just build the same (I think) amdgpu kernel module for your kernel, you can even use it with your distribution's mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Securitex
              Is this the new 7nm AMD mobile CPU/APU (Asus notebooks, for example)? Does this mean we can't use 5.4.x LTS kernel on them? What the fuck? Either that mitigations crap or AMD without drivers. Fuck them all.
              AMD does the right thing by focusing upon the only LTS of the Linux world that actually matters in the real world:

UBUNTU 20.04 LTS with Linux 5.5; therefore version 5.5 should be considered the actual LTS release!

Comment

Originally posted by plinkyplonky View Post
                I hope this also means better support for Picasso 3500U processors as well. Running version 5.3.0-26 on Ubuntu Bionic. There is screen tearing when watching some videos.
                That's more likely an app / windowing system / configuration issue than a driver one.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Get used, this is Linux! On serious note, you can use AMD's pro driver, It just build the same (I think) amdgpu kernel module for your kernel, you can even use it with your distribution's mesa.
                  The packaged drivers contain a fully open mesa stack as well. The workstation closed source drivers are an optional add on.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    This topic deserves so much more attention than I can give it right now. But I have to say that it's not usually a good idea to be an early adopter on Linux. regardless of whether we're talking GPU's or whatever else. it's the best idea to choose hardware that is already stable and is already in good shape at the time of your purchase. AMD doesn't have a fantastic record of getting newly released hardware perfectly stable on any OS. Although the windows drivers have tons of cool graphical configuration tools and more enthusiast level features, they aren't always stable either. But it's especially so on Linux because it's a second class OS that AMD has less resources devoted to. The point is just buy hardware that is already known to have stable drivers and your user experience on Linux will be much better.
                    Im using 5700XT kernel 5.4 (xanmod) and oibaf mesa 20.0 ...it works very stable even with aco on. When I have bought this card 2 Month ago I was expecting way more issues.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      AMD's APUs are always a generation behind their desktop cards.

They have a pretty terrible track record with linux support of their APUs, so we'll have to wait and see how this one goes. But I don't think the gpu tech is particularly going to be a problem. Performance from what has been shared seems like it should be fine.
                      I have amd 2400g and for me it has been staple on asrock mitx board on daily use since 5.0 or 5.1 kernel. Even the steam games like Dirt 4, F1 2017 and "Life is strange 2" are playable on 4k tv, when using lower full screen resolution on X11 and steam configuration.

Now I have started experimenting with the Rocm components like hcc, hip and open-c. They will not work out of the box, but so far I have been able to build workable HCC and HIP environments and use those for building and running some machine learning test apps on raven ridge gpu .

OpenCL environment is now on my todo list but that one I have not yet managed to get even building ok as I need to find out right git repositories and branches from the dependencies like llvm and ROCm-Device-Libs are needed by ROCm-OpenCL-Runtime. (And whether I can use same version of ROCM-DeviceLibs for example for hcc and openCL) At least so far it looks like that all 3 (hcc, hip and opencl) requires a different version of llvm.

Comment

Working...
                      X