AMD Sends In A Bunch Of Fixes For Linux 5.6 Along With Pollock Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends In A Bunch Of Fixes For Linux 5.6 Along With Pollock Support

Phoronix: AMD Sends In A Bunch Of Fixes For Linux 5.6 Along With Pollock Support

After already several rounds of feature work queued in DRM-Next for Linux 5.6, AMD has submitted a final batch of feature work for this next kernel as it concerns their AMDGPU graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

EDIT: outdated.
    Last edited by leonmaxx; 17 January 2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I knew my GPU ran hot, but I had no idea it was hot enough to cook pollock with nor that AMD was considering adding fish fry support. I just bought blackening seasoning so I'm pretty stoked.

EDIT:
      It didn't cook my pollock, my 580 no longer works, and my workstation smells like a Cajun fish electrical fire.

bridgman
      Can AMD toss me an old Vega laying around in the back room to make up for that mistake? Oh, and some air freshener. Blackened 580 with raw pollock is a horrible smell.

Comment

skeevy420
        Part of me wonders if AMD made a [big] mistake with the name of this GPU. Their new naming scheme seems to be focused on stars. There is no star called pollock, but, there is a star called Pollux:

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          skeevy420
          Part of me wonders if AMD made a [big] mistake with the name of this GPU. Their new naming scheme seems to be focused on stars. There is no star called pollock, but, there is a star called Pollux:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollux_(star)
          I think this guy is meant. Picasso, Renoir ...

BTW If nvidias calls it new Arch Ampere does it mean it will consume more Power?
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 17 January 2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            skeevy420
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollux_(star)
            They're named after Artists now, like CochainComplex mentions.

Look, it was either that or saying "And now that we have Pollock support, the commits to support screen doors on submarines have just landed in amd-staging" and hoping that both: a) non-english users would understood the phonetics of pollock to get the joke; and, b) didn't want to deal with the ramifications of potentially pissing off the uptight PC brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              EDIT: It didn't cook my pollock, my 580 no longer works, and my workstation smells like a Cajun fish electrical fire.
              Sorry about that. Not sure what we can do about compensation, but we have put the follow-on "Tilapia" product on hold as a precaution until we update the user documentation.

There are probably some good "when the Pollock hits the fan" memes in there
              Last edited by bridgman; 17 January 2020, 03:28 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Can the amdgpu driver from drm-next repository be used on a stable kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                  Can the amdgpu driver from drm-next repository be used on a stable kernel?
                  Depends on whether there have been any kernel API changes between the two kernels... might work if the two are sufficiently close, but there is no guarantee since code to support multiple kernel versions is not allowed upstream.

Just FYI that's the main difference between upstream and packaged kernel drivers these days - packaged drivers are built with DKMS and Kernel Compatibility Layer (KCL) code to support multiple kernel versions with a single driver code base.
                  Test signature

Comment

Why does AMD not adopt that bridgman? Wouldn't it make your lives easier? Are there performance issues with the KCL?

Comment

Working...
                    X