No announcement yet.

A Slew Of ACO Optimizations For The Radeon Vulkan Driver Landed In Mesa 20.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slew Of ACO Optimizations For The Radeon Vulkan Driver Landed In Mesa 20.0

Phoronix: A Slew Of ACO Optimizations For The Radeon Vulkan Driver Landed In Mesa 20.0

The Valve-backed ACO compiler back-end that is optionally used by the RADV Radeon Vulkan driver has continued growing in popularity with Linux gamers and also has continued maturing a lot for Mesa 20.0 that is due out later this quarter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a todo list for ACO? I know some shader types were missing, is it compute and tessellation? Struggling to remember

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Is there a todo list for ACO? I know some shader types were missing, is it compute and tessellation? Struggling to remember
      The purpose of this issue is purely informative and should serve clarification about recurring questions whether ACO will support certain features in future. Supported hardware: GFX6 (Radeon 7000 s...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        The highest impact comes from pixel shaders (aka. fragment shaders), and the most common case is when there are just pixel and vertex shaders, so this case is what ACO covers currently. Geometry and tesselation shaders are missing, which means that if there is geometry or tesselation in a given pipeline, then all VS, GS and TS are going to be handled by LLVM still.

There is an open merge request for geometry shaders. The work hasn't started yet on tesselation.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

The highest impact comes from pixel shaders (aka. fragment shaders), and the most common case is when there are just pixel and vertex shaders, so this case is what ACO covers currently. Geometry and tesselation shaders are missing, which means that if there is geometry or tesselation in a given pipeline, then all VS, GS and TS are going to be handled by LLVM still.

There is an open merge request for geometry shaders. The work hasn't started yet on tesselation.
          Are there plans to start tesselation work after geometry shaders gets merged?

here's the geometry shaders work merge request. I really hope it gets merged very soon, please.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Are there plans to start tesselation work after geometry shaders gets merged?

here's the geometry shaders work merge request. I really hope it gets merged very soon, please.
            Yes, but it will take time to get to everything.

Comment

I wonder if this helps Elite: Dangerous with its insane shaders (something like 40MB if I recall correctly).

Comment

Apparently they hope to have GFX6 support done in the next couple weeks. Tessellation support would then be the main missing feature.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Apparently they hope to have GFX6 support done in the next couple weeks. Tessellation support would then be the main missing feature.
                  Let's hope that AMD won't drop support for GFX6 in amdgpu anytime soon or these guys would need to wire up RADV also for radeon to enjoy the benefits of ACO on that hardware.

Personally I'd like to see ACO on RadeonSI this year with all the benefits it comes with. Would that be realistic or is this too much of a task for 2020?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    Personally I'd like to see ACO on RadeonSI this year with all the benefits it comes with. Would that be realistic or is this too much of a task for 2020?
                    i'd like to test it with xcom2 now

Comment

Working...
                    X