AMD Has DP MST DSC Support Ready For The Linux 5.6 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Without those stable distros, enterprise software (ERP, CRM, LoB, payroll) would not have a platform to run on. I'd like to get paid so I'm happy that those "fools" can have their cake and eat it too
    Nonsense, if version locked distro's didn't exist then then there would be rolling release distro's. You know, distro's that get updated drivers and bug fixes and security updates....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Nonsense, if version locked distro's didn't exist then then there would be rolling release distro's. You know, distro's that get updated drivers and bug fixes and security updates....
      Are you trolling or do you really have no idea that e.g. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) gets continuous bug fixes, continuous security fixes, continuous updated drivers, etc for 15+ years (backported where required). And do you really not know that e.g. a SAP system is certified for a *specific* release like RHEL 7 with a specific kernel, glibc, ABI, & API etc. And do you really not know that said SAP system will be in production for many, many years which requires a stable, non-changing platform, aka RHEL?

It's fine that you prefer your rolling release distro for your use case. However, in the enterprise a rolling release distro does not work for any of the type of applications I mentioned thus is no option.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Are you trolling or do you really have no idea that e.g. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) gets continuous bug fixes, continuous security fixes, continuous updated drivers, etc for 15+ years (backported where required). And do you really not know that e.g. a SAP system is certified for a *specific* release like RHEL 7 with a specific kernel, glibc, ABI, & API etc. And do you really not know that said SAP system will be in production for many, many years which requires a stable, non-changing platform, aka RHEL?

It's fine that you prefer your rolling release distro for your use case. However, in the enterprise a rolling release distro does not work for any of the type of applications I mentioned thus is no option.
        You call non-changing stable, but what you really mean is version locked.... Truth is even your precious RHEL has unfixable bugs and security flaws due -ENTIRELY- to the fact that it isn't stable -BECAUSE- it's version locked. And you also really mean it gets horribly expensive financially and often times waaaay too late backports that most often cannot be upstreamed. Also backports are often times horrible hacks that were patched in to an old infrastructure that wasn't made for it and don't get the testing required to make sure it works right -BECAUSE- they usually can't be upstreamed. Different version locked distro's have different patchsets due -ENTIRELY- to the fact that they usually cannot be upstreamed.

The waste of effort is abominable, especially when the best option for everyone, including themselves, is to just update versions.

EDIT: If you really think that Windows is version locked, you're most definitely wrong. Windows has a different concept for user facing and especially hardware facing API's than most linux apps, but it most definitely isn't version locked.

Honestly flatpack is RHEL's last great hope, except it can't solve it's bug ridden lower levels that can't be updated...

EDIT: Go ask AMD or Intel about what they think about backporting graphics drivers.... Go ahead.... Dare you.... You won't like what you hear.

EDIT: Just because some douchebag moron thinks version locked means "stable" doesn't mean he's right.... Rolling releases are -exactly- the best option for enterprise distro's especially when bug fixes and security fixes are important to them. You can't just update a live production machine though, that's true even more so for version locked distro's due to the fact that most of their backported patches are hacks that haven't been tested or designed for the version being deployed on.
        Last edited by duby229; 13 January 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=duby229;n1152141]

You call non-changing stable, but what you really mean is version locked.... /QUOTE]

No it is not version locked as parts of RHEL get replaced with newer versions during the major.minor+1 release cycles. The rest of your rant about security bugs are either wrong or simply laughable But it seems you are trolling so I won't try to enlighten you. Enjoy your rolling release distro!

Comment

[QUOTE=lowlands;n1152150]
            Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You call non-changing stable, but what you really mean is version locked.... /QUOTE]

No it is not version locked as parts of RHEL get replaced with newer versions during the major.minor+1 release cycles. The rest of your rant about security bugs are either wrong or simply laughable But it seems you are trolling so I won't try to enlighten you. Enjoy your rolling release distro!
            So having a perfectly valid opinion based on experience and knowledge is trolling.... Ok, whatever....

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
              Does this mean we can get 144hz 4k now?
              Hi all,

just found this thread searching for information on how to get my new 4K display (XG27UQ) to work at 144Hz. I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 with both stock and liquorix 5.6 kernels and tried both the open source as well as amd's driver for my Radeon RX-5700. Both monitor and GPU support DSC. Still, I'm locked at 120 Hz maximum.

Does anyone have recent experience regarding this topic? Is the pull request Michael was writing about in his article actually relevant for single display scenarios like mine, or does it refer to multi-display setups? To rephrase the question: Is 4K@144Hz already working with amdgpu on single screen setups and is it just me who is too stupid?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
              g.

Comment

Originally posted by gnartz View Post

Hi all,

just found this thread searching for information on how to get my new 4K display (XG27UQ) to work at 144Hz. I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 with both stock and liquorix 5.6 kernels and tried both the open source as well as amd's driver for my Radeon RX-5700. Both monitor and GPU support DSC. Still, I'm locked at 120 Hz maximum.

Does anyone have recent experience regarding this topic? Is the pull request Michael was writing about in his article actually relevant for single display scenarios like mine, or does it refer to multi-display setups? To rephrase the question: Is 4K@144Hz already working with amdgpu on single screen setups and is it just me who is too stupid?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
                g.

They used xrandr to fix it.
                You could edit xorg.conf.d if you wanted.

You may also want variable rate refresh: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Xorg_conf_file

You also may want to report a bug to xorg about your specific monitor. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/groups/xorg/-/issues
                Last edited by Laughing1; 18 June 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. However, it does not answer my question, because the fix is about 144Hz, but not 4K (UHD). So the question about 4K@144Hz being already supported or not still remains unanswered.

Comment

A brief update: With the update to the 5.7 Kernel, 144Hz is working at 4K resolution with the AMD pro driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X