Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver Adding Support For The AMD Pollock

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver Adding Support For The AMD Pollock

AMD "Pollock" is a new chip similar to Dali and looking like it may be used for some Ryzen embedded purposes. AMD Pollock was plumbed into the Linux driver yesterday and was the first time we've heard this codename...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does the name make me think of bacteria/viruses?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Why does the name make me think of bacteria/viruses?
      Because of a drive-by assocation with polio. Pollock is a type of cod fish.

Comment

Pollock is a type of cod fish.
        It’s also the name of a painter, Jackson Pollock. Much like the previous chip called Dali, after the painter Salvador Dali.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post

Because of a drive-by assocation with polio. Pollock is a type of cod fish.
          Recent AMD codenames are mainly artists, specifically painters: Renoir, Dali, Matisse, Picasso, Pollock.

Comment

If they could make a $149 mini pc, 4 core 8 thread 45 watt, 2 gigabit connections, four USB 3.0 connections m.2 and 4GB or 8GB RAM with Vega 3/8 graphics, I would buy so many. I think many other would for a dual PiHole+Media Center+General Server for an entire house hold running common stuff like team speak, git, NAS and software routing.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
              Recent AMD codenames are mainly artists, specifically painters: Renoir, Dali, Matisse, Picasso, Pollock.
              It depends, some codenames are artists but music bands rather than painters: (Led) Zeppelin, (Jefferson) Starship, other codenames floating around the web are (Pink) Floyd and Genesis.
              For Epyc, you have cities in Italy (Naples, Rome, Milan, Genoa).

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                If they could make a $149 mini pc, 4 core 8 thread 45 watt, 2 gigabit connections, four USB 3.0 connections m.2 and 4GB or 8GB RAM with Vega 3/8 graphics, I would buy so many. I think many other would for a dual PiHole+Media Center+General Server for an entire house hold running common stuff like team speak, git, NAS and software routing.
                Keep dreaming. A DeskMini A300 barebone alone costs that without any CPU, storage or RAM and only single Ethernet.

Closest you will get at that price today is an Xbox One S.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  It depends, some codenames are artists but music bands rather than painters: (Led) Zeppelin, (Jefferson) Starship, other codenames floating around the web are (Pink) Floyd and Genesis.
                  For Epyc, you have cities in Italy (Naples, Rome, Milan, Genoa).
                  That's why i wrote "mainly"

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                    This would be interesting but I’m. It certain the demand is there for AMD to do an SoC specific to that need. Basically you would need a chip with everything on board the SoC so that you minimize external chips to only memory. Even pins for memory might push expenses forcing a stacked arrangement like with cell phone chips. In other words to keep chip costs down pin count would need to be minimal which would also help to control board size.

of course we have no idea what these chips are actually implementing so that is a problem ( we can’t really say your board is impossible). It wouldn’t hurt to look into what they are offering with these new chips, if they are in 7nm it could be very interesting with a board fat less than 45 watts. Such a chip would be an interesting subject for a startup. What I would aim for is a Raspberry PI sized board (adjusted slightly to work with 80mm SSD’s) with a bit more rational I/O header. If you could get the bare board under $100 it could be a hot Seller. You would need a board that generates a broad interest like the PI’s in order to be successful, the real trick is to beat the ARM based boards in this niche.

Lin any event the board you want will not materialize unless you are willing to do the startup or can influence a established manufacture to design such a board.

Comment

Working...
                    X