Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Fixes 8K / 4K120 Output, Hits Sync Object Timeline Support For Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Fixes 8K / 4K120 Output, Hits Sync Object Timeline Support For Vulkan

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Fixes 8K / 4K120 Output, Hits Sync Object Timeline Support For Vulkan

While on the back-half of the Linux 5.5 kernel cycle, sent in on Wednesday were an interesting batch of AMDGPU driver fixes that are quite notable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why not make it 80k by just writing squares of 10x10 pixels of same color?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      Framebuffer limits, lack of an 80k display?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        just imagine every one of your pixels is made of 100 smaller pixels, if you want the same result.

Comment

AMD RADV driver on one of my machines already seems to expose VK_KHR_timeline_semaphore on Debian Unstable with kernel 5.4.8. How's this possible?

Comment

Just a question, given we're speaking of screens, does amdgpu is supposed to correctly handle dual-screen monitor... ? Or AMD doesn't care about these features ?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
              Just a question, given we're speaking of screens, does amdgpu is supposed to correctly handle dual-screen monitor... ? Or AMD doesn't care about these features ?
              Not sure exactly what you are asking. We support the maximum number of displays supported on a particular asic (e.g., 5, 6, etc.). If you are talking about high res displays that require two or more display controllers to drive them, those are supported as well.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Not sure exactly what you are asking. We support the maximum number of displays supported on a particular asic (e.g., 5, 6, etc.). If you are talking about high res displays that require two or more display controllers to drive them, those are supported as well.
                For instance, I have a TV screen (2160p) and a monitor (1440p@144Hz). Both plug on a RX570.

On Fedora 31 GNOME, if I set mirror/clone mode, I can't choose distinct resolution for the screens.
                If I choose 1080p, I have a 1080p TV + 1080p@60Hz screen.
                If I choose 1440p, my TV goes out-of-range... and the screen goes 1440p@60Hz (instead of 144Hz).

I don't think I have a crazy installation... But I can't do basic things.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

For instance, I have a TV screen (2160p) and a monitor (1440p@144Hz). Both plug on a RX570.

On Fedora 31 GNOME, if I set mirror/clone mode, I can't choose distinct resolution for the screens.
                  If I choose 1080p, I have a 1080p TV + 1080p@60Hz screen.
                  If I choose 1440p, my TV goes out-of-range... and the screen goes 1440p@60Hz (instead of 144Hz).

I don't think I have a crazy installation... But I can't do basic things.
                  I think that is a limitation of clone mode on wayland (IIRC, they use a separate surface for each display to avoid tearing which doesn't work if both displays are pointing to the same surface). You'll need to use xorg for that to work. Or use non-cloned displays.
                  Last edited by agd5f; 09 January 2020, 03:54 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    just imagine every one of your pixels is made of 100 smaller pixels, if you want the same result.
                    somehow imagining you have 8k pixel works with 4:2:0

Comment

Working...
                    X