Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Fixes 8K / 4K120 Output, Hits Sync Object Timeline Support For Vulkan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Fixes 8K / 4K120 Output, Hits Sync Object Timeline Support For Vulkan

    Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux 5.5 Fixes 8K / 4K120 Output, Hits Sync Object Timeline Support For Vulkan

    While on the back-half of the Linux 5.5 kernel cycle, sent in on Wednesday were an interesting batch of AMDGPU driver fixes that are quite notable...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...5-Timeline-APU

  • #2
    why not make it 80k by just writing squares of 10x10 pixels of same color?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      why not make it 80k by just writing squares of 10x10 pixels of same color?
      Framebuffer limits, lack of an 80k display?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        why not make it 80k by just writing squares of 10x10 pixels of same color?
        just imagine every one of your pixels is made of 100 smaller pixels, if you want the same result.

        Comment


        • #5
          AMD RADV driver on one of my machines already seems to expose VK_KHR_timeline_semaphore on Debian Unstable with kernel 5.4.8. How's this possible?

          Comment


          • #6
            Just a question, given we're speaking of screens, does amdgpu is supposed to correctly handle dual-screen monitor... ? Or AMD doesn't care about these features ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by whitecat View Post
              Just a question, given we're speaking of screens, does amdgpu is supposed to correctly handle dual-screen monitor... ? Or AMD doesn't care about these features ?
              Not sure exactly what you are asking. We support the maximum number of displays supported on a particular asic (e.g., 5, 6, etc.). If you are talking about high res displays that require two or more display controllers to drive them, those are supported as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post

                Not sure exactly what you are asking. We support the maximum number of displays supported on a particular asic (e.g., 5, 6, etc.). If you are talking about high res displays that require two or more display controllers to drive them, those are supported as well.
                For instance, I have a TV screen (2160p) and a monitor ([email protected]). Both plug on a RX570.

                On Fedora 31 GNOME, if I set mirror/clone mode, I can't choose distinct resolution for the screens.
                If I choose 1080p, I have a 1080p TV + [email protected] screen.
                If I choose 1440p, my TV goes out-of-range... and the screen goes [email protected] (instead of 144Hz).

                I don't think I have a crazy installation... But I can't do basic things.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by whitecat View Post

                  For instance, I have a TV screen (2160p) and a monitor ([email protected]). Both plug on a RX570.

                  On Fedora 31 GNOME, if I set mirror/clone mode, I can't choose distinct resolution for the screens.
                  If I choose 1080p, I have a 1080p TV + [email protected] screen.
                  If I choose 1440p, my TV goes out-of-range... and the screen goes [email protected] (instead of 144Hz).

                  I don't think I have a crazy installation... But I can't do basic things.
                  I think that is a limitation of clone mode on wayland (IIRC, they use a separate surface for each display to avoid tearing which doesn't work if both displays are pointing to the same surface). You'll need to use xorg for that to work. Or use non-cloned displays.
                  Last edited by agd5f; 01-09-2020, 03:54 PM. Reason: clarify

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    just imagine every one of your pixels is made of 100 smaller pixels, if you want the same result.
                    somehow imagining you have 8k pixel works with 4:2:0

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X