AMD Catalyst 9.1 Brings OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short list of observations about this release:
    * Suspend actually works and seems quite stable (WUT!?)
    * XVideo with Compiz still sucks. But I don't care, cuz Compiz is not a part of my life (too much hassle, too much fuzz, not stable enough, not worth it).
    * Smooth installation (via --buildpkg & DKMS)
    * Tested a few OpenGL-things, seems to work fine and performance is good.
    * Driver seems otherwise stable, and 2D is very usable.
    * Best fglrx so far for me, and the changelog isn't looking too bad.

Ubuntu 8.10 x86, ATI X1400 Radeon mobile (R500).

Comment

Originally posted by biasquez View Post
      R300 support will be available into catalyst 9.2
      This is the first release since 8.10 that actually works with my 9600.

Comment

there's still much flickering with GoogleEarth
        => it even got worse

glxgears show no to very little flickering, fgl_glxgears seems to show no flickering

AMD / guys - please, please improve that

is GoogleEarth the rule with opengl/3D apps or an exception (I mean this heavy flickering that you even can look at the apps behind it when its content disappears ) ?

compared to nvidia I'm very impressed by the 3D performance during compositing (despite the flickering) it seems to be the same like without compositing enabled

in contrast with nvidia it only seems to be around 50-60%

Comment

still crashing and burning after a couple tries... guess it's kubuntu+fglrx or maybe karma related...
          oh well... maybe next month... or when I change distro (no time for that these days)... or maybe if I file more bug reports and help more old people cross the street...

Comment

VLC movie error under compiz

This seems to be a pretty good release to me - big desktop worked first time and everything seems quickish. One problem though is that although the flickering has gone playing video under compiz, I now have a strange bug where the video is shifted downwards with a black bar about an inch thick. Still works fine fullscreen, and thats using VLC.

Comment

Catalyst 9.1

With Compiz: Same huge problems as everyone else. However, I don't use Compiz.

Without Compiz (GNOME only): Catalyst 9.1 is GOLDEN. 8.12 had this regression where I couldn't scale when changing resolutions and 9.1 fixes this (I have a 1280x800 panel, so 1024x768 would be a box with a ton of black pixels). Also, I can rotate the screen (xrandr -o left, for example) and get video working via xv again. Good stuff. OpenGL seems to still work, so that's good. I can't really say anything about OpenGL 3, but I guess that's always nice to have. Suspend has always worked for me, so I hope it still works.

I'm on a laptop with an x1400.

Comment

lol

I installed 9.1 and rebooted.
                Everything was fine until the login screen.
                I seem to get a hardlock.
                I must be doing something wrong.

Ubuntu 8.10, HD4850

I'll look into it, I've got client computers to troubleshoot at the moment.

EDIT: It locks pretty damn hard, even my KVM switch stopped working lol.
                Num lock doesn't come on or off either.
                Last edited by BlueKoala; 29 January 2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gloscherrybomb View Post
                  This seems to be a pretty good release to me - big desktop worked first time and everything seems quickish. One problem though is that although the flickering has gone playing video under compiz, I now have a strange bug where the video is shifted downwards with a black bar about an inch thick. Still works fine fullscreen, and thats using VLC.
                  Same here man

Semi fix is to set VLC to minimal and then i have no issues this is the oly version i have got it to work.

But OPENGL version is still 2.1 can anyone else concur

Comment

Also no problems here In fact I notice a substantial improvement in 2D acceleration compared to 8.12.

Comment

ATI 4850 + Compiz + XV + 9.1 + OpenSUSE 11.1 = stable...
                      There is some cropping from top and bottom on some videos but there will bi fixed later versions...

Comment

Working...
                      X