No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.1 Brings OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, first impression: Works just as good like 8.12, but they improved the compiz blur transparent windows effect... now the windows don't lose transparency and get darker, but remain transparent (i.e. the windows stay like if the effect wasn't enabled). Still no blur effect so :-/

Comment

I just "updated" from the october driver... well I don't use compiz or any stuff like that but my KDE4.1.3 is still slow as hell... well maybe not like hell but still very slow...
      At least nothing is broken

Comment

Originally posted by blabub View Post
        Since years I'm using linux and since years I had 1-2 crashes under linux.

I don't believe you.

Yours faithfully,

y.

Comment

Anyone tried this on a 4650 or F10?

Anyone tried this on a 4650 or F10?

Comment

I can't see any difference here with hd3850 Ubuntu/x64. In mplayer, the xv tearing problem still exists, opengl video rendering still slow. In vlc, video playback is completely unusable: the picture is twitching every second or so both in xv and opengl; but I'm not sure this wasn't the case in the previous releases. No new crashes, maybe because I don't use composite.
            Last edited by flice; 30 January 2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

HP Compaq 6715s (integrated X1250) + Kubuntu 8.10 + KWin works perfectly (finally!) (using nohz=off workaround, but that is a HP BIOS bug)

Thanks to all off you in the ATI crew! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                Short list of observations about this release:
                * Suspend actually works and seems quite stable (WUT!?)
                * XVideo with Compiz still sucks. But I don't care, cuz Compiz is not a part of my life (too much hassle, too much fuzz, not stable enough, not worth it).
                * Smooth installation (via --buildpkg & DKMS)
                * Tested a few OpenGL-things, seems to work fine and performance is good.
                * Driver seems otherwise stable, and 2D is very usable.
                * Best fglrx so far for me, and the changelog isn't looking too bad.

Ubuntu 8.10 x86, ATI X1400 Radeon mobile (R500).
                Taking most if it back, at least the parts about "best fglrx 4 me ever" (I was suspecting I had to post this after some more testing). XVideo isn't really working very well at all, with some strange artifacts showing up, and performance is really bad, especially in fullscreen. So:
                * XVideo - not so good after all, worse than 8.12 (plain non-composited environment, Metacity). Poor fullscreen performance and artifacts (and video is too bright by default).
                * X wouldn't start up when my laptop was only on battery power, this is embarassing ! I suspect PowerPlay-stuff is very buggy on my hardware, and it causes all sorts of problems (also with suspend, when pulling the power chord just as the machine suspends).

I put the radeon-driver back, and things are much better (of course, not perfect, but I've learned to accept that when it comes to Linux and video drivers ).

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                  I don't believe you.

Yours faithfully,

y.
                  Yes, it's hard to realize for about 90% + 8% desktop computer users.

Comment

Ok, AMD guys, this was fun, now roll out the real 9.1!

Comment

Unfortunatly not all is well. While the movie player is able to play videos fine with compiz on (woah...), it's sidebars are horribly disfigured.

Another one gets a kernel panic when he restarts the xserver.

Comment

Working...
                      X