Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Drops TGSI Support From Their RadeonSI OpenGL Driver

Phoronix: AMD Drops TGSI Support From Their RadeonSI OpenGL Driver

It was just shy of a month ago in Mesa 20.0-devel code that RadeonSI enabled NIR by default to enjoy OpenGL 4.6 support and now already ahead of the Mesa 20.0 branching the previous TGSI code-path has been removed. TGSI has been the default intermediate representation of RadeonSI and other Gallium3D drivers but these days NIR has become the go-to IR for Mesa drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that is certainly a good development - here is to uncovering all the edge cases in the new 20 release :P

Comment

Code removal feels so nice

Comment

Is there an impact to certain state trackers, like nine?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Is there an impact to certain state trackers, like nine?
          Nine should continue to work—radeonsi will translate the TGSI supplied by nine to NIR via tgsi_to_nir, like iris does. So everything is still supported, but now everything goes through NIR and there's one fewer path in the driver.

(I wondered this myself, so I looked at the patches earlier.)
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

Nine should continue to work—radeonsi will translate the TGSI supplied by nine to NIR via tgsi_to_nir, like iris does. So everything is still supported, but now everything goes through NIR and there's one fewer path in the driver.

Awesome, thank you for looking it up and answering!

Comment

I believe this is the right decision, the NIR environment variable caused some confusion in the past, so it's good to drop TGSI and to focus on just one path.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

I was going to ask basically the same question, but for the video-decoding state trackers. Hopefully the TGSI->NIR pass doesn't have any oddball corner cases that we haven't stumbled upon yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I was going to ask basically the same question, but for the video-decoding state trackers. Hopefully the TGSI->NIR pass doesn't have any oddball corner cases that we haven't stumbled upon yet.
                  Yeah, that's another reason for TGSI->NIR. If there are any, we'll have to fix them :)
                  Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                  Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

That's not very impressive. Still waiting for ACO in radeonsi. =P

Comment

Working...
                    X