The Experimental GCN 1.0 GPU Support Might Be Dropped From AMDGPU Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

These cards support Vulkan under Windows, it's reasonable for them to support Vulkan under Linux too.
    And they do it pretty well, btw.

I still have a Phenom II X4 and a Radeon HD 7950.
    DOOM'16, Wolfenstein 2 runs astonishingly well (FullHD and ~medium details) considering this antique hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

And they do it pretty well, btw.

I still have a Phenom II X4 and a Radeon HD 7950.
      DOOM'16, Wolfenstein 2 runs astonishingly well (FullHD and ~medium details) considering this antique hardware.
      Well I've also noticed GNOME under the radeon driver is a lot slower than the amdgpu driver.

Comment

AMD up to their old shenanigans again just like the did with fglrx and sub HD5000, had my fingers burnt once and just as I was thinking about AMD once more they go and do it all over again. Sorry AMD but I just don't trust your support length, need to do better.

Comment

Too bad, AMD. As usual, they do it even worse than Intel.

Intel isn't the best, just they are the only ones that barely really care about Linux.

I hope they step back and release more documentation, even provide more resources.

If they don't change their mouths, I'll never buy AMD hardware in the coming months. I have a planned massive computer upgrade soon, over 600 high end workstations.
          Last edited by timofonic; 31 December 2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

bridgman Umpf...mh usually I'm advocating the way AMD is approaching their Open Source Drivers. But this decision is premature.

The market is just slowly recovering from the overpriced products (caused by bitcoinminers). Therefore a lot of people are still hanging around with their GCN 1.0 Cards (me included just upgraded last month). Waiting for a good competition on the gfx market - like it is on the cpu market. So that we have nice products for 200-300 bucks. 5500 is nice but not really an upgrade to 580 or 590 - so no real no brainer. The 5700 (XT) are nice but not within mainstream budget and the real market pusher 5800 or 5900 is not on the horizon yet.

And to be honest for the most games GCN 1.0 is still fine - only triple AAA titles and some DX11 games (through DXVK) are too demanding.

Maybe it would be nice to fork this AMDGPU as mentioned by others to a legacy build - I hope AMD will provide enough information to have a proper transition. In such a case I would be totally fine with it.
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 31 December 2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              bridgman Umpf...mh usually I'm advocating the way AMD is approaching their Open Source Drivers. But this decision is premature.

The market is just slowly recovering from the overpriced products (caused by bitcoinminers). Therefore a lot of people are still hanging around with their GCN 1.0 Cards (me included just upgraded last month). Waiting for a good competition on the gfx market - like it is on the cpu market. So that we have nice products for 200-300 bucks. 5500 is nice but not really an upgrade to 580 or 590 - so no real no brainer. The 5700 (XT) are nice but not within mainstream budget and the real market pusher 5800 or 5900 is not on the horizon yet.

And to be honest for the most games GCN 1.0 is still fine - only triple AAA titles and some DX11 games (through DXVK) are too demanding.

Maybe it would be nice to fork this AMDGPU as mentioned by others to a legacy build - I hope AMD will provide enough information to have a proper transition. In such a case I would be totally fine with it.
              Or you could simply stick with the last kernel supporting your hardware. I mean, the older hardware does not see much optimization anyway. At the same time, user space components such as Mesa can still be upgraded. While having old hardware supported on a state of the art kernel is nice, of course, your machine doesn't simply stop working. If you pick a LTS kernel, most important fixes will be backported, too.

Comment

Here we go again. AMD doesn't provide any official driver for my RadeonSI GPU since 2015, and I have been using Mesa drivers for 4 years. Now they are going to drop also the firmware completely from the kernel! They don't provide any support their own GPUs, and they don't want anyone else to support them! WTF is wrong with them?!!

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Or you could simply stick with the last kernel supporting your hardware. I mean, the older hardware does not see much optimization anyway. At the same time, user space components such as Mesa can still be upgraded. While having old hardware supported on a state of the art kernel is nice, of course, your machine doesn't simply stop working. If you pick a LTS kernel, most important fixes will be backported, too.
                  Somehow I agree but I fear there might be more changes so that newer mesa might not work anymore. I guess AMDGPU will be changed a lot otherwise they would not drop the support. If I is just a simple drag it along it would not be an issue to keep it in AMDGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    This makes me question my tentative plans to buy AMD when my GeForce GTX750 dies.
                    I do understand the frustration ....but what do you want to buy instead? Nvidia is even worse and Intel has no dGPU card yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                      Just wondering: Why do we need a new firmware, if the existing firmware exposes the relevant interfaces on RadeonSI?
                      'Design'?! ('Half open' OSS support (after radeonHD) .)

Comment

Working...
                      X