AMD Radeon TrueAudio-Next Finally Going Cross-Platform With Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon TrueAudio-Next Finally Going Cross-Platform With Linux Support

Phoronix: AMD Radeon TrueAudio-Next Finally Going Cross-Platform With Linux Support

TrueAudio-Next is AMD's solution for advanced GPU-accelerated audio effects and other capabilities by leveraging OpenCL compute rather than any dedicated DSP audio hardware. While developed as open-source the past three years, there hasn't been official Linux support but that seems to finally be changing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenCL support required? Ok, forget it then.

Comment

Good news, thank you AMD!
      If ROCm only wouldn't be such a pain to install and artificially limited to old LTS releases...

Comment

We know the macOS will be Metal. Apple has shown by inventing OpenCL that no one else seems to figure out how to leverage it like they do with moving to Metal and hooking that up throughout the entire OS, leveraging their replacement to I/O Kit and making every single one of their applications [especially Pro apps] use the hell out of it all. DriverKit Audio is brand new. So I imagine this work by AMD will only be mainly developed by Apple.

Metal 3.0 drops any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          OpenCL support required? Ok, forget it then.
          OpenCL support is such a disaster right now.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

OpenCL support is such a disaster right now.
            Ah yes just ignore the previous thread where it was just end user ignorance preventing OpenCL from working...

If you want OpenCL to work install the Mesa + opencl and amdvlk from the prodriver and nothing more otherwise you'll break it. And yes that is on Navi. Also if anything this just points to AMD eventually releasing Navi support for ROCm since how else are they going to have this working out of the box on gaming cards. And this is a predominately gaming feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Good news, thank you AMD!
              If ROCm only wouldn't be such a pain to install and artificially limited to old LTS releases...
              ROCm OpenCL installs fine on Fedora running mobile Raven Ridge with the experimental repository up to date. Its main issue version is the performance compared to the amdgpu-pro.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Ah yes just ignore the previous thread where it was just end user ignorance preventing OpenCL from working...

If you want OpenCL to work install the Mesa + opencl and amdvlk from the prodriver and nothing more otherwise you'll break it. And yes that is on Navi. Also if anything this just points to AMD eventually releasing Navi support for ROCm since how else are they going to have this working out of the box on gaming cards. And this is a predominately gaming feature.
                Bolded by me.... And THAT -is- the disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Bolded by me.... And THAT -is- the disaster.
                  Which part... the fact you have to install OpenCL or the mention of amdvlk ? I didn't think AMDVLK was required in order to run the packaged OpenCL.

Separately, if your GPU is supported by ROCm then you can run ROCm + OpenCL over upstream drivers.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Which part... the fact you have to install OpenCL or the mention of amdvlk ? I didn't think AMDVLK was required in order to run the packaged OpenCL.

Separately, if your GPU is supported by ROCm then you can run ROCm + OpenCL over upstream drivers.
                    I don't use OpenCL or CUDA but almost every source I just googled shows OpenCL to be (a lot) worse than CUDA (both performance and whatever wise), I think this is the main problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X