Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 20.0's RADV + ACO Vulkan Driver Now Consistently Beating AMD's AMDVLK Linux Driver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa 20.0's RADV + ACO Vulkan Driver Now Consistently Beating AMD's AMDVLK Linux Driver

    Phoronix: Mesa 20.0's RADV + ACO Vulkan Driver Now Consistently Beating AMD's AMDVLK Linux Driver

    The Mesa RADV Vulkan driver paired with the Valve-funded ACO compiler back-end is yielding an incredibly power competitor to AMD's own AMDVLK Vulkan driver that is derived from the source-code of their shared Windows Vulkan driver code-base. Here are some year-end benchmarks looking at the RADV vs. RADV ACO vs. AMDVLK Vulkan driver Linux gaming performance on Ubuntu with several generations of Radeon graphics hardware.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=28670

  • #2
    ACO and Fsync is the best things that happened to AMD gaming on 2019

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, those numbers look good!
      And ACO isn't even used for all the shader stages: https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/98

      I am also using ACO with a Raven Ridge mobile. It works great!

      Thank you Valve & all the ones involved! Much appreciated.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
        Wow, those numbers look good!
        And ACO isn't even used for all the shader stages: https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/98

        I am also using ACO with a Raven Ridge mobile. It works great!

        Thank you Valve & all the ones involved! Much appreciated.
        Not only that but tesselation shaders will help a lot.
        But main thing im excited for is OpenGL support. If this one gets added in first half of 2020 then i will be really excited as it will help a lot.
        Truly amazing year for Linux gaming.

        Comment


        • #5
          Michael What's the problem with DOW3 on GFX9/LLVM? hang or crash?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Haxk20 View Post
            Not only that but tesselation shaders will help a lot.
            Nah, not really. There are exceptions, but most (modern) games don't spend a huge amounts of time on tessellation, and many games don't even use it at all. People have learned to use it more responsibly, not like in the early days where games would overuse it just for the sake of it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
              Nah, not really. There are exceptions, but most (modern) games don't spend a huge amounts of time on tessellation, and many games don't even use it at all. People have learned to use it more responsibly, not like in the early days where games would overuse it just for the sake of it.
              Ahhh my bad then. I looked at older games for shaders and well it indeed looks like new games dont use it much. But well its still nice to have it in ACO.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
                Nah, not really. There are exceptions, but most (modern) games don't spend a huge amounts of time on tessellation, and many games don't even use it at all. People have learned to use it more responsibly, not like in the early days where games would overuse it just for the sake of it.
                It was part of nVidia's "The way it was meant to be played" campaign. nVidia hardware was much more capable at tessellation than AMD's so they made damn well and sure that it was ridiculously overused in order to harm performance on AMD hardware.

                EDIT: When you start a game and you hear that whispered "nVidia" and see that "the way it was meant to be played" logo, then you know it's most definitely been crippled in a way that benefits nVidia's non-standards compliant drivers.
                Last edited by duby229; 12-19-2019, 02:03 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It really depends on the game. In Read Dead Redemption 2 (not aware of any way to play this on Linux yet) you can reduce performance by at least 20% with higher tess settings. In SotTR, on the other hand, it's almost free.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Look at min values! In some cases AMDVLK even if shows the same performance in average has much lower min.
                    E.g.: Strange Brigade 1080p Ultra, mins for AMDVLK, RADV, ACO on RX 5500 XT: 19.4, 30, 36.1.

                    The same goes for Rise of Tomb Raider -- much higher mins for all cards for mesa drivers.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X