AMD R700 2D Driver Performance Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enverex View Post
    The fglrx driver sucks on that test and one of the other tests. I tried it myself on my HD4850 and it took a very long time.

Also don't bother with more comments like your last about Gnome, that is just pointless trolling.
    well, gnome IS slow. There is no doubt about that. And compiz is pretty broken under its shiny surface so both make a less than ideal platform.

I didn't try 8.12 but a friend with a 48XX and I with my 3870 both tried gtkperf with the leaked 9.2 preview - and circles was fast for both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
      Than you'll love this article

thread=15059
      have you even read the interview? Linus switched because Fedora - the old KDE haters, forced 4.0 down his throat - in a way that everything was broken afterwards and he was just too lazy to clean that mess up. Not KDE's fault, who told everybody not to use 4.0 - and not because gnome is so great. I am wondering why he is still using broken-OS aka fedora in the first place.

Comment

Maybe the ATi developers should just contribute to the open source driver instead of their proprietary version.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          well, gnome IS slow. There is no doubt about that. And compiz is pretty broken under its shiny surface so both make a less than ideal platform.

I didn't try 8.12 but a friend with a 48XX and I with my 3870 both tried gtkperf with the leaked 9.2 preview - and circles was fast for both of us.
          Gnome may be slow for -you-, but I've never had any performance issues on any of my machines with any cards.

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
            Maybe the ATi developers should just contribute to the open source driver instead of their proprietary version.
            The two drivers really serve different markets; it's not really "one or the other". The open driver will normally track new things in the stack (like the recent EXA improvements) more closely than fglrx, but the fglrx driver will have advantages in areas where being able to leverage code across other closed drivers makes the biggest difference, such as 3D performance.
            Test signature

Comment

That sounds almost like saying "Well you can have this driver and have good 2D performance, or have this driver and have good 3D performance". Doesn't sound ideal.

Comment

This is pretty much a one-time situation. It just so happened that EXA improvements were the most recent thing to show up in the released framework and the open driver can take advantage of them first.

Most of the upcoming framework improvements (memory management, Gallium etc..) will be complete non-issues since "all" they do is allow open drivers to get closer to closed drivers in terms of performance and features. I'm not trying to downplay them -- I think they are hugely important for the X community -- but the closed drivers have had similar capabilities for years.
                Last edited by bridgman; 25 January 2009, 04:58 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
                  Hope to God they dont. I shit driver is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                    Hope to God they dont. I shit driver is enough.
                    Oh come on, I'm sure they would provide some help.

Comment

they do already

Comment

Working...
                      X