AMD's GPU Performance API Library 3.5 Drops ROCm/HSA Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
    Let me guess ... whatever Oak Ridge sponsors them to develop for Frontier?
    https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/wp-content..._specsheet.pdf
    OpenCL is a dead end and the future seems to be CUDA over HIP so developers should start using HIP instead.
    When a Swedish techsite had a 20yr anniversary Joe Macri was a speaker and i later read in the forum that one had asked him after the speech and the recording "doesn't AMD still invests in OpenCL?".
    The answer was no, better to use CUDA over HIP.
    I hope nothing got lost in translation.

Here's the speech if anyone is interested.
    Under SweClockers Live talade AMD:s teknikchef Joe Macri om framtiden, där en kraftfull skrivbordsdator tjänar ett ekosystem av olika anslutna enheter.Tillhö...
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 16 December 2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Well I am finally done with my Linux RX 5700 XT swap in and out.
      No OpenCL with Mesa = no Radeon usage on Linux!
      Now it will become a crappy Windows gaming card.

Waiting for Intel oneAPI and their graphics card.

And for everyone who like to watch a worthy speech:
      Dave Airliehttps://2019.linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/182/CUDA has become the defacto standard for GPU compute in most fields. AI and Machine Learning ...

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
        ... no Radeon usage on Linux!
        Now it will become a crappy Windows gaming card.

Waiting for Intel oneAPI and their graphics card.
        Welcome to the club! After > 2 years of permanent frustration about amdgpu's abysmal stability, which got worse, not better with newer kernel versions over time, I came to that conclusion a few months ago. And I don't even need an OpenCL or high 3D performance... my only requirement is a kernel driver not crashing frequently, even on an idle desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          Welcome to the club! After > 2 years of permanent frustration about amdgpu's abysmal stability, which got worse, not better with newer kernel versions over time, I came to that conclusion a few months ago. And I don't even need an OpenCL or high 3D performance... my only requirement is a kernel driver not crashing frequently, even on an idle desktop.
          I need to be fair the RX 480 on Mesa was more stable for me than any other graphic card I ever had and I used custom Mesa patches on this thing. I would wish that AMD were able to see how big their Mesa advantages are and put some more work into this direction and at least finalize OpenCL 1.2.
          Last edited by Naquatis; 17 December 2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X